Book: The Big Turnoff - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-20-2009, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just finished reading The Big Turnoff by Ellen Currey-Wilson. I really enjoyed it despite there being some annoying parts. The different AP things mentioned in the early part of the book were nice.

It helped me to read this book. Because I see that a lot of things that she has dealt with from too much tv is also stuff I have dealt with, but did not know it was from all those years of sitting and wasting away in front of the thing. When she talks about escaping from stuff, inability to deal with problems, emotional issues and more...I could relate to much of it. I've only recently noticed that I do not almost always have a cloud of sadness hanging over my head throughout the week. It slowly disappeared over the past year since cutting the cable. That is just one of many improvements.

I like what she wrote about where she gets all of her energy:

"I want to tell her that it's because I've stopped watching television. I want to tell her how hard it is to stop watching at first, because the more you've been watching, the more likely you are to be depressed. And when you stop, you get even more depressed before you start getting better. But you do get better, lots better."

Nice book. Gave me something fun to read. Has anyone else read it?

uc.jpg  lotbirth.gif   waterbirth.jpg 
#2 of 6 Old 04-21-2009, 12:30 AM

I read it last year and really enjoyed it. She has a self-depreciating style of writing I found enjoyable. Some of her anecdotes we're a little irritating to me, but overall a very good read. Glad you liked it!

B.
Mama to : July '06
#3 of 6 Old 04-21-2009, 01:31 AM

Yes! And I think I discussed it in here somewhere, a while back...

ETA Ah hah! Here we are. I can unlock that thread if you like, or just continue discussing it here.
#4 of 6 Old 04-21-2009, 03:55 AM - Thread Starter

I remember reading that thread. It took me a year to buy the book!

#5 of 6 Old 04-22-2009, 03:38 PM

You mamas have inspired me, I just ordered the book and emailed DH about figuring out what to do about the tv (we're both at work right now . DD just turned 3 and watches too much tv, as we all do. Well, summer is coming, no time like the present to discuss and make changes. Thanks!!

Mama to DD 4/06 notes2.gif  new DS stork-boy.gif born 17/12/10 familybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
#6 of 6 Old 05-04-2009, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Great to hear!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page