Cancelling the cable and explaining it to my 5yo - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-20-2009, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DS didn't watch TV at all until he was 3 (and I went back to work).

Now he's 5, and he's addicted, and I'm addicted to the Food Network!

I am thinking I will cancel our cable (costs $60 a month!) but I'm not sure how to explain it to him.

I think I need to explain it a few days ahead of time, so it's not a surprise (that would be bad).

Any suggestions on ways to explain it to a 5yo in a way that will help it not be a horrible thing?

I think we will both benefit greatly from it and it will be very worthwhile... my only hesitation is that it's a big change for a TV addict like my 5yo. I don't want to be left with a screaming, fit-throwing, horrible child during the transition, if it's avoidable, kwim?

Any suggestions on how t obreak the news would be greatly appreciated. I think this is the right season, since it's spring.
atreyyena likes this.
#2 of 4 Old 04-20-2009, 09:56 PM

This may not strike you as entirely honest, but I would say something like:

"Oh, I have some interesting news. In a few days the television will no longer get the channels it used to. That's going to be a little weird a round here for a while. We all like a little tv time, huh."

You'll probably get a lot of whys so you'll have to decide what to do from there.

"The tv company can't deliver the shows to our house anymore." (technically true, since you won't be paying for it.) "Let's think up some fun things we can do instead."

OR

"Well, we have to pay $60 a month to get the tv company to send us the television and I just think we could have a lot more fun with that money than watching tv. What are some things we can do with $60 that would be fun. Should we get a membership to the zoo and go three times next month?"

One thing I would not do is ask for dc's permission or approval. It's not really fair to put him in that position since you've already made up your mind. I also wouldn't make it punitive in the least (by saying, "We were both watching too much tv and rotting our brains with all that drivel," for example.)

Then brace yourself for a few days of kvetching. It will end!

Good luck.

Happy mom to DS2000, DS2002, DD2004, DS2006 and DS 10/2009:
#3 of 4 Old 04-22-2009, 04:37 PM

I'd go for doing it matter of factly and just being really positive about it. I'd also be prepared with some suggestions for fun things for him to do after the TV actually goes off.

He'll get used to it soon!
#4 of 4 Old 04-26-2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziek View Post

"Well, we have to pay $60 a month to get the tv company to send us the television and I just think we could have a lot more fun with that money than watching tv. What are some things we can do with $60 that would be fun. Should we get a membership to the zoo and go three times next month?"

I think that is both honest and straightforward.

We just canceled Netflix, because we felt we were wasting too much time watching the online movies, and we thought we could do something better with our $20 a month.

A couple of days ago, ds asked if he could watch a Netflix movie. I just said, "Sorry, bud, we canceled it. We decided that it would be more fun to go out to dinner or buy a new book or go to the movies with that money." DS (9) scowled and humpfed a minute, then went outside to look for a stick to make a fishing pole. I think that with a 5-year-old, there will be an initial protest, with a very quick recovery and he will forget about it quite soon.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page