More lessons from the pizza parlor - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-03-2009, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I posted here a while ago about going to our neighborhood pizza place for a family night out only to have the tv stop all conversation dead. Since we were the only people eating in, I did ask the pizza guy to turn it off. My kids squealed for 45 seconds and then we got on with our meal and conversation.

This week we went again (I hadn't thought about the tv thing and just needed a quick pit stop on the way to swimming). The TV was on the cartoon network. This time I just shrugged and let them watch while I ate and read the paper.

Then a commercial came on that floored me. FWIW it was 4:30 in the afternoon. The commercial was a locally produced public service message. It was an award winner, produced by a local high school health class. And it was about sexual violence. I group of teens are drinking, one boy slips what is presumably the date rape drug into a young girl's drink. She gets all floppy, he offers to take her home. The ending line was "Sexual assault--it's not always committed by a stranger."

Now this flew right over my kids heads. The didn't even ask what it meant. But it served to confirm that even "good" tv (innocent cartoons, etc.) is bad tv. Commercials are often the worst of it. I'm not saying that there may not be an appropriate place for a commercial like that, but 4:30 in the afternoon on the cartoon network is not it.

Happy mom to DS2000, DS2002, DD2004, DS2006 and DS 10/2009:
#2 of 4 Old 05-11-2009, 01:03 PM

Thanks for the post. You are so right. I think there is some good tv, but 98% of it is bad including all commercials (even PSAs).

We tried Tivos to sort out the bad, but it's useless. Even when people say that I should let DS watch "harmless" Disney movies, I can't help but think how upsetting most of them are. Mommy dies in Bambi, Dumbo, and Finding Nemo. Daddy dies in the Lion King, etc... How do I explain to a 2 year old the plot of Mulan (Barbarians killing innocent people!)?
#3 of 4 Old 05-15-2009, 11:53 PM
Banned

I hardly think any Disney (or Pixar) movies are harmless. In fact, they are all too violent for my 4 year old IMO.

We don't do broadcast TV at home because of the commercials but we do rent videos occasionally and there are only 2 or 3 that I think are appropriate for this age.

People seem to not understand that when kids watch very little TV that they are not as accustomed to seeing some of the violent stuff that other kids do. Fortunately my kid will tattle on bad programming.
#4 of 4 Old 05-18-2009, 09:40 AM

I find that I am much more sensitive to this type of content after several years of not watching any TV as well. So much of what is on TV just makes *me* sad/stressed/shocked. I don't want that for my young children

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page