I don't need TV because.. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-18-2009, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have a bird feeder! My 2.5 year old pulled the dog bed out onto the deck and is sitting in it watching the birds with her doll. She's teaching her baby the different kinds of birds

Why don't you need TV?
#2 of 9 Old 05-18-2009, 04:52 PM

...because I have a toddler! She keeps me busy all day long. And once she's in bed I'm too busy playing catch-up to watch TV!

SAHM to DD (6/07) and DS (10/09); happily married to DH since 2/04 .
#3 of 9 Old 05-18-2009, 05:49 PM

I live with five amazing people I love to talk with, play with, just be with.

Plus, I have a library card.

Happy mom to DS2000, DS2002, DD2004, DS2006 and DS 10/2009:
#4 of 9 Old 05-18-2009, 06:21 PM

because when the tv is gone things like the basketball hoop outside and the Monopoly games are re-discovered

Life Learning Momma to DS17, DS16,DS9jumpers.gifas well a dog, a cat, two birds...ttc babygirl.gif homeschool.gifnamaste.gif
#5 of 9 Old 05-19-2009, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziek View Post
I live with five amazing people I love to talk with, play with, just be with.

Plus, I have a library card.

True, true
#6 of 9 Old 05-19-2009, 03:42 PM

because we have fun in the kitchen! My DS has an egg-beater (hand-cranked, old-fashioned mixer thing from the thrift store) and can mix a mean cake batter. He loves to mix and taste his "recipes" (a little of this and that from whatever I'm making).

B.
Mama to : July '06
#7 of 9 Old 05-19-2009, 10:51 PM

... because I have the world! :
And living on a boat is such an enriching experience I couldn't imagine tuning out this world to plug in to a fake one each day.

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
#8 of 9 Old 05-23-2009, 04:55 PM

... because we live in one of the most exciting cities on the planet, with easy access to dozens of wonderful things to do and places to spend our time, like museums, parks, libraries, aquariums, zoos, cafes, activity centers, art galleries, etc. Why watch some boring old show about Central Park or a famous artist when I can go to Central Park or see the famous artist's work in person?

... because on the rare occasion that DH and I want to watch a movie, we simply fire up the ceiling-mounted digital projector and run it from one of our computers while our baby is sleeping nearby. If he's awake, we just turn him away from the screen.

... because I prefer to read.

... because they're bulky and ugly and have to be the centerpiece in any room, even if it doesn't work with the furniture arrangement possibilities or decor.

... because the flashing graphics, fast editing, and loud obnoxious music and voices and sound effects are headache inducing.

... because if I really like a television show I can just buy it on DVD, without commercials or the risk of getting sucked into watching shows that don't actually interest me.

... because I just don't really like it. It's too much, too fast, and the quality is generally poor.

... because no one lies on their deathbed wishing they'd spent more time watching TV instead of spending quality time interacting with friends and family.

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#9 of 9 Old 05-23-2009, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peainthepod View Post
... because we live in one of the most exciting cities on the planet, with easy access to dozens of wonderful things to do and places to spend our time, like museums, parks, libraries, aquariums, zoos, cafes, activity centers, art galleries, etc. Why watch some boring old show about Central Park or a famous artist when I can go to Central Park or see the famous artist's work in person?

... because on the rare occasion that DH and I want to watch a movie, we simply fire up the ceiling-mounted digital projector and run it from one of our computers while our baby is sleeping nearby. If he's awake, we just turn him away from the screen.

... because I prefer to read.

... because they're bulky and ugly and have to be the centerpiece in any room, even if it doesn't work with the furniture arrangement possibilities or decor.

... because the flashing graphics, fast editing, and loud obnoxious music and voices and sound effects are headache inducing.

... because if I really like a television show I can just buy it on DVD, without commercials or the risk of getting sucked into watching shows that don't actually interest me.

... because I just don't really like it. It's too much, too fast, and the quality is generally poor.

... because no one lies on their deathbed wishing they'd spent more time watching TV instead of spending quality time interacting with friends and family.
I think I love you! I love all the posts, actually, but yours made my heart sing. Thank you so much mamas for making a girl feel normal again, it's so frustrating to deal with the constant barrage of talk about TV shows, and annoying people who pester as to why we don't.

I don't watch tv because I'm too dang busy living and my book list is ever growing, as are our minds.

Christina, mama to 2 sweet girls

10.26.12 (HBAC!)
namaste.gif   neg.gif  sewmachine.gif   homebirth.jpg homeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page