TV-Free Parenting Group? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-19-2009, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone had any luck starting one of these in your own community? My DH and I are thinking of trying to get a group together and I'm looking for suggestions. Thanks in advance!

B.
Mama to : July '06
#2 of 7 Old 05-19-2009, 07:53 PM

You could try Meetup.com. When you register, you select your interests & one of the choices is tv-free. Unfortunately, the only other people in my area (NYC suburb) who selected tv-free live pretty far away.

Another option I can think of is to find a Waldorf school or Waldorf homeschooling group. Those parents are supposed to be tv-free.
#3 of 7 Old 05-19-2009, 10:47 PM

I wish! I found my other tv-free friends by AP playgroups and LLL locally. I am also thinking of posting in the local homeschool yahoo group too, because as DS gets older it's getting harder. He has a ton of friends, and some are very media oriented and some are TV-free, but specifically I wish he has some tv-free BOY friends. All of the media restricted families we know are all girls. Which, again, is fine and great and he LOVES those kids. But it would be nice to find some 5+ year old boys who have families taking a similar path. It seems boys + media = violence and aggression and I hate that!

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
#4 of 7 Old 05-19-2009, 11:53 PM

I've found several low media families through our local natural parenting/babywearing group.
#5 of 7 Old 05-20-2009, 10:54 AM

That would be terrific. TV free families around here are so rare that a friend of a friend told a friend of a friend who was tv-free about our family. The mom sent me an giddy e-mail, saying that her daughters didn't have any tv friends and that she'd love to meet us. She and the kids is coming over Friday--here's hoping everyone enjoys themselves!

That said we do know several families where tv is a very low priority, which is great. We love these people for other reasons, too, of course, but the busy, fun, creative, non-consumery lives they lead go hand in hand with low tv/no video games choice they made, me thinks.

Boat baby--I know what you mean about boys/tv/violent play, but I also know that my two boys can get fairly aggressive all on their own. Maybe because there are two of them and they are older, but they can play really rough--and enjoy it. Granted, they are more likely to play good-old fashioned cops and robbers or kidnapped or treasure island instead of some tv-inspired game, but still they are not the peaceable creatures I thought they'd be!

Happy mom to DS2000, DS2002, DD2004, DS2006 and DS 10/2009:
#6 of 7 Old 05-20-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziek View Post
T

Boat baby--I know what you mean about boys/tv/violent play, but I also know that my two boys can get fairly aggressive all on their own. Maybe because there are two of them and they are older, but they can play really rough--and enjoy it. Granted, they are more likely to play good-old fashioned cops and robbers or kidnapped or treasure island instead of some tv-inspired game, but still they are not the peaceable creatures I thought they'd be!
Completely true for us too. It's not that he doesn't like to play swords and pirates and such. It's just that he also loves to build fairy houses and play house too. And for media entrenched boys his age that is out of the question.

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
#7 of 7 Old 05-22-2009, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! You're responses have been really helpful!

We're actually thinking of starting a group more to offer support for families who would like to go tv-free or some variation of it. We know no one who is limiting or forgoing tv for their children, but talk to so many families who wish that they could. We often ask ourselves if more families would try tv-free if they had support or even knew of someone else who had done it. We're still on the fence about it though and wonder if there would be any interest. I tried the meetup.com link and there is no one within 100 of miles of me that is tv-free on there.

Thanks again mamas!

B.
Mama to : July '06

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page