Weekend with tv-obsessed family - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-22-2009, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all,

We've only been tv-free for one month, but it has been a fantastic month. We have just been invited to spend a weekend in June at my Sister's-in-law beach house. The problem is that she is a heavy tv user. Her 3 kids watch a ton of tv (there's a tv in everyone's bedroom).

The problem is that my 2.5 yr old son is enamored of his big cousins, and will want to do whatever they are doing. My son is the reason we went tv-free (it's just way too much stimulation for him).

I'm thinking about declining the invite. I feel like it's just too soon, and that he will become addicted to tv again. My husband thinks we will be able to distract him with other activities. That never worked at home, I don't think it will work because of my son's love of his older cousins.

We will be seeing these cousins in July, so my husband is okay with declining the invitation. I just feel guilty, although God knows I don't need to sit in NYC beach traffic with a toddler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 05-22-2009, 06:56 PM

Go and enjoy yourselves

Family is important. Even if you can't manage to distract them (although I can't imagine kids preferring TV to a beach), the worst is that they have watched a lot of TV for one weekend. When it's over you can all go home and resume your good habits.

and
#3 of 8 Old 05-23-2009, 05:49 PM

I think you should go with your gut. Do you think that a weekend of nonstop TV exposure will set him back? If so, you have no reason to feel guilty.

If it's just about the traffic (which I fully understand, since we go to the Cape every summer and getting out of the city can be BRUTAL) and you're using the TVs as an excuse, that's one thing. But it doesn't sound like that's what's going on.

Whatever you decide, try not to feel guilty about it. You have to do what's best for your son, whether it's popular or not.

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#4 of 8 Old 05-23-2009, 07:22 PM

You know, I'd go, but I'd go armed.

Could you bring water balloons, badminton nets, board games, cookie baking stuff, etc, that would distract all the kids? This is what we do every summer when we go to visit the cousins. Our DS is the only tv-free kid and he's one of the youngest so it's a challenge. My DH and I spend time with all the kids keeping them busy and out of the house. HTH.

B.
Mama to : July '06
#5 of 8 Old 05-23-2009, 07:41 PM

If you are seeing them in July, I'd skip it. That is just a little over a month away ...
#6 of 8 Old 05-25-2009, 08:58 PM

We have been TV free for two weeks. We just spent the weekend with my TV obsessed niece and nephew, whom my sons adore. Now that they are gone, my ds just asked for a movie and I told him no. He didn't make a big deal about it. He just went and found something else to do.

J - Homeschooling mom to H (1/20/05), Z (11/6/06) and C (8/22/08)
I work from SON up to SON down! 
#7 of 8 Old 06-03-2009, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homefrontgirl View Post
You know, I'd go, but I'd go armed.

Could you bring water balloons, badminton nets, board games, cookie baking stuff, etc, that would distract all the kids? This is what we do every summer when we go to visit the cousins. Our DS is the only tv-free kid and he's one of the youngest so it's a challenge. My DH and I spend time with all the kids keeping them busy and out of the house. HTH.
THIS.

My parents are obsessed with having the TV on all the time. But I have found that the whole family would much rather be outside playing baseball or throwing a frisbee or watching the kids play in a baby pool than anything on tv.

Breeder Mama: = wife to an amazing man + mama to J-Bear (07/02) and E-Train (06/08), nanny to Little Bird (07/10).

#8 of 8 Old 06-04-2009, 07:19 PM

I guess it would depend on how valuable the visit would be otherwise. If it's just a routine visit and can easily be done another time, I might pass it up. But if it may be the only opportunity for a while to spend quality time with family that you really want to see, then I would probably go. Maybe you could let them know how you feel and see if maybe TV could be curtailed during your visit? I know that can be difficult terrain with some people. Maybe you could plan some outdoor activities that my lure your son, as well as his cousines outside?

Attachment-Parenting mom to darling DS : (January 2006). : : : : :

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page