"But you're going to be a SAHM..." and other comments - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 34 Old 09-23-2009, 07:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
well we do own tv's but one is for the late night movie for mommy and daddy and the other is for the ATARI on the odd night that we do screen time. without a Netflix we are dead in the water! We know we are addicted to cable even though we dont have it!! SO we had an attena before the digital switch and now all we have is that odd cartoon channel. We choose not to watch tv other than the small Charlie and Lola dvd and grownup late night movies. Now with that said.

People are horrified that we dont have tv/cable. They ask "what do you do?"
I tell them the "retort de jur". (sp) I'd weigh 500# if we had cable, we shag, make a home cooked meal, help children with school work, spend time with friends, read, learn to ??? (insert fun thing here - this fall is learn spanish for us), go do xyz., etc. we are just so busy that tv doesn't fit into our schedule very well. But we dont put people down for doing tv - I hope we show them what you can do when you limit it! Tv just does't work for us - it works against us.
#32 of 34 Old 11-12-2009, 04:36 PM

I liked the article, zinemama!

Mary, Mama to 3 boys! 9/05 & 8/08 & 7/12
#33 of 34 Old 11-15-2009, 10:20 PM

I never considered us to be tv-free, but I guess we kind of are. We own 2 (very old) tvs and one vcr and a dvd player. We watch videos occasionally, but the dvd player is mostly used for CDs (no cd player). I've gotten some VERY odd comments about our lack of tv.

1) You have a 4 year old and don't have NOGGIN!? How do you entertain him? (FTR I don't even know what noggin is, I had to look it up )

2) (time warner sales rep after I told him we were plenty happy without cable) Oh well I guess there are a lot of good shows on the regular channels. Me: Oh we don't get reception either Him: (eyes bug out of head) Really!? Wow. Um, what do you DO!?

3) I don't know how you live without TV, your house is just too quiet!

I find it quite funny. I used to have cable but I'm not much of a tv watcher. If there's something I really want to watch I have my mom set her DVR and I'll go there and watch it. DS doesn't have TV at his dad's house either, but they do have a dvd player and a Wii. His grandma doesn't have tv either (she baby-sits him and so he's there a lot). They watch religious videos sometimes.

I find it so odd that so many people feel dependent on tv!

I have a lot of respect for those of you that don't even own a tv. I don't use videos as a babysitter at all, but sometimes it is nice to pop one in so I can get the kiddo to let me read a book for a half hour.
#34 of 34 Old 11-15-2009, 10:43 PM

I had an interesting response once.

Back when I was in college, and I still had a TV in my room with cable paid for by my parents, I still never turned it on. Literally for months at a time. Anyway, I had to take a communications class as a requirement. The first day of class we had to go around (it was only like 20 students) and talk about our favorite show. Of course I had to be last and I was positively squirming - I had no idea what everyone was talking about, nor did I want to lie and make something up - I had no idea what shows were on. I guess I should have said "news" or something generic like that, but no, I had to be honest and I said "I don't really watch TV" when it came to my turn. The teacher confirmed it and I admitted that I hadn't turned it on in about six months. The teacher then stood up and started clapping for me. I think he was genuinely impressed (because after that I was his favorite student) but as someone who doesn't particularly like to stand out, I felt like such a complete weirdo dweeb for that moment.

mama of DS(3) & DD(2)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page