Alternatives to TV for bored, lonely SAHM?? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 38 Old 06-12-2009, 08:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfasianmomma View Post
Also, I did "The Artist's Way" years ago and LOVED it. It's a process that helps unearth your hidden inner artist. It was definitely time consuming and I could do it to classical or jazz music in the background. If you did this, you get to expose your LO to some nice music and rhythms all the while writing and discovering stuff about yourself (the book prompts you to do all sorts of fun activities as well).
This is awesome! I read The Creative Family book just before we went TV free to give me some ideas of what to do instead of TV. The first chapter talks about becoming a creative parent as a good role model for little ones. I am having such a hard time with that!

J - Homeschooling mom to H (1/20/05), Z (11/6/06) and C (8/22/08)
I work from SON up to SON down! 
#32 of 38 Old 06-12-2009, 09:59 AM

You need some people!

This period--staying home with one small baby--is a potentially rich one. Your baby needs little more than your company and attention. Which means you are free to do things and meet people who interest you.

My situation was very different from yours, so forgive me for whatever difficulties I don't understand. When my oldest was a baby we lived in New York City, which, of course, afforded me a steady diet of museums, great libraries, coffee shops, and moms groups. I had never had time off from work or school so this was a real treat for me. I read, roamed and made great friends with a small group of mothers in the same situation.

I think wrangling the car two days a week would be great for you. You and DB could drive DH to school/work and head on your way--head to a museum, bookstore, library (find out when the baby book, lapsit times are at the library. This is a great place to meet other mothers).

Call your local hospital and see if they offer a new moms group. Call the local yoga center and see if they have a mommy and baby yoga class. Try the pool--university, YMCA, etc--and see what baby swim classes they have on offer. Also your town's recreation department might have something interesting.

Your DH's school might have some great offerings too--such as a pool, or some kind of spouses' group. Maybe you could drive in with DH and explore the campus.

One other day maybe DH could take the bus, leaving you with the car.

Once you start meeting other moms you could have one or two come by for a morning. The babies could roll around together and the moms could chat. My mom friends helped make life with a new babe even more enjoyable, and the days full. I'd say even more important than finding lots to do is finding good people to spend part of your week with--people whose company you enjoy and who understand the challenges and pleasures you are dealing with.

Good luck and let us know how you are doing.

Happy mom to DS2000, DS2002, DD2004, DS2006 and DS 10/2009:
#33 of 38 Old 06-24-2009, 01:58 PM

Radio- NPR is really interesting IMO or maybe you could get satellite radio
Audio books or music cd's

Instead of turning on the TV have you considered using only dvd's to start to limit your viewing?

Speakerphone?

Have you tried reading your book or magazine out loud to your baby?
Maybe try online books or news articles if rustling pages distract him.

When dd was a baby I would just put her in the stroller and we'd go out and walk up and down the neighborhood. We didn't go anywhere far and didn't really encounter anyone because most of our neighbors were older or at work We got outside away from the four walls and the TV.

Do you know anyone locally who might want to meet up at your house regularly and/or give you a ride somewhere?

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#34 of 38 Old 06-24-2009, 03:14 PM

We listen to the radio- almost all talk during the day. If I do all the things I need to do around here and give also give time and attention to the kids there is really little other time left. When nursing I like magazines or something like that. Reading books to them, getting on the floor with them during tummy time- take up some exercising w/ the baby.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#35 of 38 Old 06-24-2009, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

I go to a church playgroup once a week, with other moms that have babies, mostly under 18 mos, though a few older. It's nice to get some adult interaction that way.

Today, I ventured to the bus & rode it to a LLL meeting. Ugh, it was exhausting. It took two hours to get there, and two to get back, including a 30+ min walk to the bus, in 90 degree weather. (I'm done complaining now)

When I called DH while I was gone, and he realized how miserable I am, he offered for me to have the car for the next LLL meeting. The problem is, he works 26 miles away, and there's no bus service where he works, so I have to drive 100 miles, plus whatever miles to my meetings. Not really worth it when DS hates his carseat, and cries the whole time.

He has student loans coming in a few months, and I'm thinking of getting a bike w/ a trailer so I can be more mobile (though the heat would still be miserable, as well as the cold in the winter!), or getting a cheap car.

I think I need to try to read more. While DS is having tummy time, or in his jumperoo, I could read (I usually watch TV then).

Thanks for your support, mamas!

Wife to DH (10/2004) ~ Mama to DS (1/2009) ~ belly.gif (11/2011)
#36 of 38 Old 06-25-2009, 01:19 AM

Maybe another SAHM in your ward would be willing to give you and DS a ride to playgroup once in a while or something? Besides just your normal church playgroup. What about posting in the finding your tribe area to see if there's another playgroup near you, maybe someone there would be willing to get together?

I'm really liking podcasts and audiobooks - I am learning French right now and it keeps me happy because I'm learning and playing with DS at the same time

Kris - married to Nate since 12/06, mom to Toby since 1/08. Also servant to two felines. Done having babies for medical reasons.

#37 of 38 Old 06-30-2009, 06:58 PM

Can you get your son used to being in a back-carry? When my youngest was about that age, I just put her in the kozy or ergo (after she was fed and changed) and got busy around the house.

I got lots of housework and baking done this way. She'd play with whatever toy I attached to the carrier strap, babble to me, play with my hair, listen to me chatting with her. If she was fussy, I'd have sweeping and mopping at the ready...those motions always calmed her.

Yeah, on the fussier days I was on my feet alot...but at least my house was clean and we had good food to eat.

I tried to take a Continuum Concept approach and remember that babies want to see us in the process of living a true, human life. They need to observe us going on about the tasks of the day. They are way more entertained by seeing us fully engaged than by any toy we put in their grasp. It wasn't always easy to remember, but when I did...things were much better.

Now that she's a bubbly 2 1/2 year old, we don't do the back carry thing for that anymore. Now she can chase after her brothers. And I can finally sit down and knit...

Maryhippie.gif

#38 of 38 Old 06-30-2009, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary3mama View Post
I tried to take a Continuum Concept approach and remember that babies want to see us in the process of living a true, human life. They need to observe us going on about the tasks of the day. They are way more entertained by seeing us fully engaged than by any toy we put in their grasp. It wasn't always easy to remember, but when I did...things were much better.
I love that! Thank you!

Wife to DH (10/2004) ~ Mama to DS (1/2009) ~ belly.gif (11/2011)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page