How to go TV free - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-20-2009, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello!

I am a T.V. junkie. So is my husband. Before we met, I had one television on the floor of my apartment that was only used to catch the weather when we had storms (we get tornadoes here) and veg-out watching Sex and the City on DVD when I was home sick.

When DH and I met, I thought we might not work well together when I found he had a 60" widescreen and every imagineable accessory. Turns out, he watches less T.V. than I do these days.

A few months ago, we went T.V. free for a week, and it was great. However, it's become a coping mechanism for me. At the end of a hard day or when unwinding for the evening, the T.V. is our crutch. We even find we're not accomplishing what we need to around the house sometimes.

I need as much help as you can offer. What are good alternatives, especially for the evening for DH and I (besides the obvious one- we're already TTC )? I love to read and have a stack of library books on hand at all times. I practice the violin and clean, take the dog for walks and to the dog park. But, what about when we just want to unwind and take it easy? (Keep in mind, we're in the hot and humid, mosquito infested midwest. Not a great outdoor space this time of year.)

Help!

Geigerin violin.gif, wife to geek.gif ; mama to 2 cat.gif ; mama to jog.gif and blahblah.gif
#2 of 3 Old 06-21-2009, 02:08 PM

If you are truly committed to going TV-free, then just get RID of the darned thing. First dump it--put it in a dumpster, or out on the curb with a "free"sign on it, or get haulers to take it if it's all too big to move. First get rid of it, ASAP, and THEN you will be forced to find other ways to fill your time. And it sounds like you have great things to do, too. You won't miss it!

We have been TV-free for twelve years and have loved it.
#3 of 3 Old 06-23-2009, 03:02 AM

Just unwind and take it easy! You can read (I'm a huge fiction fan), you can bum around online (though that brings its own concerns...), you can even sit and stare out the window (really, it's a lot more enjoyable than it sounds). You can have actual, true downtime. It's rejuvinating in a way that TV can't be.

When I turn to TV is when I don't want to think about my own life anymore -- escapism at its simplest, and for that fiction is a good replacement. When I don't want to have to "do" anything but don't feel a need for the escape, TV doesn't hit the need; I'm much happier picking up my knitting, or playing with my pets, or whatever, and I find it much more fulfilling.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page