Why are you TV free? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 36 Old 04-14-2013, 01:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just saw this on the main forum page and felt like posting, even though we're not really tv-free. We have a Netflix subscription and use it for tv shows (and movies), as well as a collection of movies on Blu-Ray/DVD.  However, we don't watch "regular" tv. For us, there were two factors involved in the decision:

1) No commercials. Our lives are much easier without being exposed to the brain rot that is the "commercial break". My kids don't know about half the crap other kids beg their parents for. They're not exposed to the wacky ideas of what life "should" be like, etc. Neither am I. I like it that way.

2) We no longer deal with that "sucked in" effect that happens when one show is over and the next one starts. I can remember wasting 2-3 hours a night with my ex, just sitting on the couch and watching one show flow into another show into another show. Half the time, I didn't even like half of them, but a crappy/mediocre one was sandwiched between two that I enjoyed, so I watched them all. Now, if we want to watch a show, we watch that show, and we're done.

I don't think we'll ever go completely tv-free...ds2, in particular, loves his screens, and sometimes, they're the only thing that will settle him down. But, I have no interest in ever going back to cable.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#32 of 36 Old 04-16-2013, 12:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I need and love silence.  I just can't stand the constant chatter that is on TV. I especially hate how, every time a commercial comes on, the TV gets louder.  That said, we do have a family movie night (once a week) and the kids watch a couple of half hour videos everyday around 6 (in their room, with the door closed).  

#33 of 36 Old 04-16-2013, 07:54 AM

So many of my reasons have already been eloquently posted upthread. I'll list my top few though

1) I grew up overseas with literally two tv channels and 1/2 hour of kids programs in the evening. We didn't watch more because that's all there was so we read, played with toys, lived on our bikes, went to play with friends, etc. I think kids need the free time to figure out what they like and pursue their interests. I think they also need to be outdoors as much as possible and be active and exploring/interacting.
2) I am a TV zombie. If I have cable, I get sucked into things and before I know it, I've watched 4 hours of stuff I wasn't interested in. I don't get things done, and I feel like I miss out on life. I don't want that life anymore and I certainly don't want that for my kids.
3) seeing how screen time affects my 2 year old: she becomes a zombie too! I'm currently pregnant and I'm sorry to say DD got like 3-4 hours of sesame street a day when I was in the first trimester with the constant nausea and kill-me-now fatigue and I honestly just needed to survive until DH got home. Once I felt better, I quickly weaned her down and TV (well netflix) is now an occasional treat or emergency measure. She is less wound up, more content and easy going and has a blast playing and reading.

DH is the only one who misses cable because he's a big baseball fan (Blue Jays) but at 150+ games a season averaging 3 hours each, we'd never see him from April until the fall lol

ETA: we're not 100% tv free but use it very sparingly with DD and watch a little tv while she's sleeping.
#34 of 36 Old 09-03-2013, 08:02 PM

We were TV "lite" for awhile, and then moved into my grandmother's for about four months and she had a TV on 24/7 and despite my constant protests, it was often children's shows filled with commercials. My children were less motivated to play, they would freak out if the TV were turned off, and they asked for every single thing they saw, oh yeah, and argued over which show which kids wanted to watch. I tried explaining to my grandmother my stance, but since I was in a position where I had to live there, it really didn't work.

We moved to our own place on August 10th. We have a TV but no cable. We have a DVD player, and a handful of movies, but I haven't hooked it up yet because it is a very old TV and apparently not set up to hook up to a DVD player. I know somehow there is a way to do it, but I'm not investing too much time or money into it. If I can find it for free and have someone else mess with it, maybe I'll hook up the DVD player, maybe not. The only reason I considered even having the DVD player is because sometimes I need to do my homework and when I set down at my computer is precisely when they decide they are no longer interested in anything but me. lol. So the alternative is wait for them to sleep and then try to do my homework, which sometimes leaves me super sleepy the next morning.

Single mama to DS8 and DD4. Feminist. Queer. Atheist. Poly. Full-time poli sci and econ student.
#35 of 36 Old 09-04-2013, 10:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

thatgirliknew, congratulations on having your own place now! What a relief!

Are any of your children old enough to read, or to learn to read (5-7)? Maybe you could put that child in charge of reading to his or her siblings while you sit down to do your homework. Or if that wouldn't work, do you have a fenced in backyard? Or a playroom with decent toys?

May God bless you and His Blessed Mother Mary keep you!  :-)

#36 of 36 Old 09-04-2013, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catholic Mama View Post

thatgirliknew, congratulations on having your own place now! What a relief!

Are any of your children old enough to read, or to learn to read (5-7)? Maybe you could put that child in charge of reading to his or her siblings while you sit down to do your homework. Or if that wouldn't work, do you have a fenced in backyard? Or a playroom with decent toys?

I am so glad to have my own places. My grandmother and I were getting mutually annoyed I think, but I was thankful she let us stay none the less.

My son is old enough to read, but he's here less than half the time. Homework actually works really well when he's here because he can keep her occupied. But, I feel guilty because since he's not here more, I want to be spending all of my time with him, not doing homework.

We don't have a fenced in backyard, it's an apartment. We do have an awesome playground, but a lot of my work is online and I have a desktop.

She has a playroom full of toys. She just rarely wants to go in her room because it's on the other end of the apartment (big apartment) and while she used to play independently, she hardly ever does anymore.

Single mama to DS8 and DD4. Feminist. Queer. Atheist. Poly. Full-time poli sci and econ student.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page