Talk me down from the ledge! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-26-2009, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are tv-free. We have a computer (obviously!) that will play dvds and so occasionally dh and I will watch a movie.

DS1 is 4. DS2 is 8 months. DS1 is going through a thing where he wants to be physically close to us all the time. He doesn't really want to play alone, but he is willing to play on the floor if we are in the same room.

Getting DS2 his nap(s) has been terrible. If possible, I get him to sleep in his stroller while we go to the park (I've decked it out in sunshades and pads and it lies flat, so it's actually not too bad for a nap). But other times, we are home. DS2 is a "sleep on you" kid. He will happily nap in my lap. Occassionally, the bed, but then the naps are short. DS1 won't give me the 10 minutes it takes to get him to sleep. I've tried explaining (he's just not there yet!). I've tried letting the baby nap on my lap while DS1 plays next to us (but he eventually gets antsy and so this doesn't last so long before he's trying to get on my lap too or play some banging thing before the baby is solidly asleep). I have tried transfering the baby to the bed and tried getting the baby back to sleep when he wakes up, but DS1 comes too and this gets the baby all excited and he doesn't want to go back to sleep. I've tried setting DS1 up with snacks, art, games, toys, puzzles, beading, go out in our yard (private, fenced, safe, and windows are open so I can hear everything)... all with no luck. Because I am "unacessable" for those 10 minutes, then he HAS to be with me, talking. The baby can sleep through quite a bit of noise if he is being rocked or pushed in a stroller, but GETTING to sleep takes a few minutes of calm.

You see where I'm going with this... We have been tv-free since DS1 was 3 months old. And we really, really love it. But I can't figure out anything to do and I feel lousy that the baby is really suffering because DS1 can't chill out for 10 minutes while I get him to sleep. I keep fantasizing about 15 minutes of Winnie-the-Pooh or Milo and Otis .

Talk me down from the ledge! Tell me we'll get through this without TV! Aggghhh!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2009, 09:31 PM

I wonder about set activities that are really engaging and would be for nap only. By really engaging I mean goopy or wet or messy type stuff my boys simply can't resist.
Cornstarch goop--2 cups cornstarch, 1 cup water--is really cool. It is a solid when squeezed and then right back into a liquid in your hand and then back to a solid again with pressure.
Water play--say "washing" some coins.
Digging in wet sand.
Homemade moon sand maybe.
Playdough with lots of playdough tools.
Etc.
Maybe some cool toys--say construction matchbox or trains or whatever for only when the baby is going down and 10 minutes of play after or something like that. Something that is only for that time.

I honestly don't know if that sort of thing would have worked if I had a younger kid to take to another room at that age. I had/still have but he's easier now velcro kid too. But I think that type of play would have had the best chance of working.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

Old 06-27-2009, 12:34 AM - Thread Starter

The thing is- a good part of it is emotional. If "push away", he holds on harder. So, trying to get away from him for 10 minutes has been turning out not to be so much about the activities, but that he "can't" be with us. And when I let him stay, he forgets our "quiet voices" and wakes the baby. He will sometimes wake the baby half-on-purpose because he wants to play with him. So, there is that too.

I know a little video would fully keep him occupied for that time when other things would not .

Ack.
Old 06-27-2009, 12:45 AM

Will he listen to books on CD? This could be quiet while you tried to get the LO to sleep? He could do that right next to you. You might even get him some headphones. Just a thought. Hang in there!

B.
Mama to : July '06
Old 06-30-2009, 08:49 PM

I was going to suggest books on tape, too. How do you feel about computer time? We allowed some noncommercial computer games for this purpose.

Or, honestly...he is 4. I would probably, in your shoes, use a reward or a consequence (you get a special activity if you let me put the baby down/ or, you lose xyz if you don't). It's not fair to the baby, YK? This is one thing I do put my foot down on--no disturbing me when putting the little one to sleep, unless you're bleeding!

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

Old 06-30-2009, 08:51 PM

Maybe there is an unmet need for special time one-on-one with you? You could make that the reward--if he lets you put the baby down, he gets a special outing with you solo. (Or if you don't want to use rewards, you could just do that anyway and see if it "fills his cup" a little.)

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

User Tag List