Can we get an internet-free forum?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-02-2009, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just kidding!

But seriously, the internet has taken over. We haven't had a television for months, but now my 21mo asks to watch the "puder" all the time. If I say no there is crying. I have to force her outside, and then she asks for it every few minutes. I have to get rid of it!!

So the library offers free internet. Is there anyone who only uses the internet outside of the home? I can't talk my husband into it. What do I do?

Brianna, mom to my always naked and singing Faye (9/07) and my chubby baby Bronwen (10/10).
#2 of 7 Old 07-05-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narn View Post
Just kidding!

But seriously, the internet has taken over. We haven't had a television for months, but now my 21mo asks to watch the "puder" all the time. If I say no there is crying. I have to force her outside, and then she asks for it every few minutes. I have to get rid of it!!

So the library offers free internet. Is there anyone who only uses the internet outside of the home? I can't talk my husband into it. What do I do?
Can you limit your internet time to only times when she's sleeping, keeping the computer off the rest of the time? Ultimately, I think if you redirect her/tell her no enough times (and be consistent with when you do and do not let her use it) then she'll eventually get the message.

SAHM to DD (6/07) and DS (10/09); happily married to DH since 2/04 .
#3 of 7 Old 07-06-2009, 11:10 PM

Flip the switch on the back of the computer tower so it can't be turned on from the front. (assuming you have a desktop)

Then, don't turn the darn thing on for yourself.

Go play outside with kiddo first thing in the morning. :

At about the same age, dd was obsessed with the "puder" too. With enough redirection she stopped asking for it. I also had to force myself out of the "computer usage rut" that involved getting online whenever I didn't feel like doing anything else.

edited to add: your dh is not going to want to give up internet at home. I have never heard of a dh who did it willingly.

I don't come here anymore. MDC has become overgrown with ads & useless extra forums.
#4 of 7 Old 07-06-2009, 11:18 PM

Could the puder take a nap most of the day?

"shhhh, the puder is sleeping! Lets play in this other room so puder can sleep!!"

Okay, I know that'd just have your LOs telling the computer to wake up and play...
#5 of 7 Old 07-07-2009, 04:20 PM

Friends of ours have told us that for some reason, their 3-year-old son believes the computer is actually a robot, and that the robot needs to get regular sleep. So now their little one will actually tiptoe by the computer desk during off hours and warn people not to "wake the robot".

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#6 of 7 Old 07-07-2009, 06:02 PM

Great thread...love the robot idea, we're stealing it!

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)
#7 of 7 Old 07-07-2009, 11:40 PM

My brother and his wife do not have internet in their apartment. Mostly to save money though. My son hates it when I'm on the computer. Of course now he "checks his email" occasionally (he's 2). I check my email in the morning and at night, and I try not to be on during the day.

my toy shop on etsy.com: wooden baby keys, natural bathtub toys, wooden animals, little kitchens, waldorf dolls...also check out my blog about saving money, creating things, and natural living

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page