The Brainwashing Is Complete - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-14-2009, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

No really, I finally feel like we're at a point where WE are not the ones guiding DS to be tv-free (generally mainstream media free with the exception of a few movies every now and again on the computer in the winter time). Now it's something HE wants and is proud of.

We were traveling cross country by car recently and stopped over at an old high school friend's house on the way to crash and break up the trip. They have the EXTREME TV/ video game household. Literally the FIRST thing when the girls wake up (ages 6,8,10) is TV and video games (simultaneously in separate rooms, 2 tv's one computer). When we went out to play and the dad tried to bring them out, they got antsy after 20 minutes and asked to go in and watch TV. Then more TV (and the worst kind too) until they fall asleep.

I didn't do or say anything about it to DS not wanting to offend our hosts. But he -- on his own - said, "It's boring to watch TV, I would REALLY rather build a pillow fort or play outside or SOMETHING. Please turn off the TV and play with me."

Sadly... they didn't. We got the littlest girl to play a board game with us, but she only lasted about 20 minutes again before getting sucked in to the Disney Channel.

DS could have sat and zombied with the girls, but he now truly doesn't see the point. He just wants to be around people or outdoors and said, "when people watch tv, they don't talk to each other and that's boring."

:::::

(he just turned 5 less than a month ago by the way) I finally feel like the TV free thing is a lifestyle now and not a parental dictate!

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 07-14-2009, 12:45 AM

That is so awesome!

B.
Mama to : July '06
#3 of 5 Old 07-14-2009, 11:23 AM

That is absolutely fantastic!! It is nice to hear the positive results out there

Mom to Nora - 04/07 and Brendan - born still at 23 weeks - 07/10
#4 of 5 Old 07-15-2009, 10:35 AM

That is great!

Kathleen SAHM to Jade 10/14/03, Aiden 2/2/06, and Hunter 5/14/09 Wife to Rob 3/28/03
I'm new to: treehugger.gif sewmachine.gif  chicken3.gif
#5 of 5 Old 07-16-2009, 12:40 AM

That's awesome

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page