can i complain? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-16-2009, 03:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
so we have been living with my parents for the past five months (long story but the good news is we move in about two weeks!!). my parents know my view of TV, which is I hate it, I think it is evil and no good for a 2.5 year old. At our own house DD NEVER watched TV. didn't even know it existed. At my parents house, they openly encourage her to watch. So whenever she has wanted to watch, I let her and I put on HGTV (she doesn't know about channel switching and she gets bored with it pretty fast that way). I have also specifically asked my parents to not let her watch cartoons. So what do they do? They keep buying her cartoon movies! And for the past two weeks she has been like a zombie. No longer does she want to read books. The first thing she says in the morning is some cartoon character. It is like crack with her. She cannot self-regulate because these things are meant to be addictive. My parents response: well I watched tv and turned out ok. (Truth be told I had a tv in my room growing up. it was my babysitter. my parents didn't have to interact with us then.).
so i can't wait to move out and into our new house!! i am so excited! and my hubby, who originally thought i was crazy to implement a no-tv household (much to his dismay but who has agreed to hold off on tv until after she falls asleep) now agrees with me whole heartedly. My parents say that I am to take the movies with me, but I shall leave them here. She can watch them here.
Thanks for letting me vent to peeps who would understand.

Legal Mama to TWO homebirthed, unschooled, unvaxed, cloth diapered, mei tei loving, still breastfeeding baby girl 1/14/07 and an intact 8 pound 10 ouncer baby boy 4/5/10.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2009, 12:15 PM

I'm sorry that your folks don't respect your wishes on this. I've never been able to understand why so many people disregard TV-free parents' views out of hand as unreasonable. I guess TV is such a part of mainstream life these days that people don't see any harm in it... and as a result you must be crazy not to let your DD watch it! You're definitely doing the right thing when it comes to leaving the DVDs at your folks' house after you leave.

Congrats on your new place, btw!

SAHM to DD (6/07) and DS (10/09); happily married to DH since 2/04 .
Old 07-20-2009, 09:26 PM

Yikes, that sounds really hurtful as well as frustrating. I can sort of understand a TV-addicted adult not seeing the harm in letting a child watch TV, but encouraging your little one to watch TV instead of read is pretty messed up. I'm glad you're getting her out of there.

And yeah, leave the movies--and the TV too, if you can convince DH. It's a lot easier to control TV time if there's no TV in the house.

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

User Tag List