Too poor for TV..lol - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-23-2009, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't have cable, we haven't had it for alomst a year now. I don't miss it much. But my kids still have their movies, which they watch toooooooo much. A movie every night at least. My kids are watching over 10 hours of TV a week. I am so mad at myself! I don't know what else to do. I am sure that my son is addicted and he is only 2 and still not talking, which I am certain is due to the TV. I feel terrible. I caused this. When I needed to get something done I put him in front of the TV, now it has just gone overboard. I work full time and when I get home from work I have to cook and get some things done around the house. He still likes to play when we first get home but after about an hour or so, he heads upstairs and turns on the TV. He can do it himself. Now that is bad, he can even put a movie in and press play himself. How do I wean him off of this? It has to stop, plus I have no idea how much TV he watches during the day because he is with my mother-in-law while I work. : I need to talk to her about it as well. What should I do? What can I do to entertain him?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 07-28-2009, 06:23 PM

hmm, well, one solution would be to simply put the tv/movies out of the two year old's reach. or putting a limit on how many movies/week they can watch, 2, 3, whatever seems reasonable to start out with- when they've watched the limit- tv is done for the week. or maybe you could plan a designated movie night for the whole family, make it fun or special some how. can you get the two year old involved with helping you do simple stuff around the house- empty dryer, put away silverware, help measure and mix during dinner prep? or have some other fun activity available- play dough, coloring, puzzles, etc. Good Luck mama!

Claire, mommy to Robbie (8/23/08) and Brena (4-22-11) and wifey to Joe

#3 of 6 Old 08-10-2009, 07:29 PM

Put your foot down and limit the time they watch television. Send them outside!
#4 of 6 Old 08-10-2009, 11:07 PM

I just unplugged the kids tv, it was getting out of hand here as well. I told them a little white lie and said that the TV was broken. they seemed to accept that ok, and we havent been having the bedtime television wars anymore! Now, we read 2 books, and then I put on some childrens audiobooks for them to fall asleep to. works every time
#5 of 6 Old 09-23-2009, 08:25 PM

Well, if I was in your shoes, I would have my children help with the evening routine. Our daughter loved and still loves to help in the kitchen. Her dexterity was great so she helped prepare dinner. Measuring and washing utensils is also great to have children help out. You get more bang for your time. Measuring, cleaning, free time whilst they do said things, and a home cooked dinner.

The next thing you know is dinner is on the table and a family meal is had by all.
#6 of 6 Old 10-01-2009, 07:40 PM
Banned

Start a weekly family movie night. That's it.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page