TV-Obsessed Child - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-16-2009, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is partly a vent, partly a request for some support.

Three days ago, the TV again went into the basement. I have no idea when I will bring it back up. Here is why I put it down there.

My daughter is almost 4 and wants to watch it all the time. She'd even ask to come home from doing something fun to watch TV. She'd tantrum if something she wants to watch isn't on and beg me to make it come on. Or she'd throw a fit if I told her no more TV for now because she's watched enough. I was spending half my energy just dealing with the TV issue. She'll turn on the TV to just see what's on and then beg for one show. Then one more and one more..... Mostly she wanted to watch Spongebob but she also likes Special Agent Oso, Caillou, and Noddy.

Part of the issue, aside from the tantrums, is how ingrained TV became in her life. She's a mostly happy kid who loves to sing. She'd sing songs like, "Caillou's Rock and Roll Band" from that show instead of imagining her own band. She sings TV themes. Her imaginative stories revolved around Spongebob. She used to be pretty self-sufficient. After watching Oso, which is about this stuffed bear helping these kids do things they've declared they can't do, she suddenly can't do anything anymore.

The sad irony is that for years before I had her, I was TV-free. When I was 7 months pregnant I moved to a place with free cable and later found that it was nice for those long days when I'd be home alone nursing a newborn. Well, 4 years and several moves later, we are not back to TV-free and now I'm wondering if I can get it out of her system. The last several days have been tough but she's asking less and less for the TV and finding other things to do. But she did ask for TV earlier. She was upset when I said no but she got over it. So now what? I feel like a mean mommy but it was getting horribly out of hand.

Thanks for reading this :

Single Mama to my sweet boo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2009, 06:49 PM

Stick to your guns, Mama! It's the right thing to do and you won't regret it. Do you have some back-up activities to do when she asks to head-off a melt-down? Audiobooks? Something novel and new? Just a suggestion. HTH.

B.
Mama to : July '06
Old 08-17-2009, 06:41 PM

My DS has always been TV-free, so I don't have direct experience with what you're describing. But from what I've heard from numerous other moms, it's hard at first when you go TV-free, but after a week or two it gets easier (they miss it less) and then before too long they have forgotton all about it. Kids adapt to new environments much quicker than we do. It may seem like the end of the world to her right now, but stick it out. It's SOOOO worth it.

Attachment-Parenting mom to darling DS : (January 2006). : : : : :
Old 08-19-2009, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies. It's not been as bad as I thought. She's discovered a renewed interest in the birds at our feeders and has been dragging out the bird book to look them up. And she's been reading, playing, and creating lots more. I see a huge difference in her play.

And keeping novel stuff on hand is a great idea She's always up for something new.

We probably won't stay TV free forever and ever but we are definitely in need of detox.

Single Mama to my sweet boo.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:50 PM

I'm in a similiar situation with my 5 yr old DSD... except I don't think she will ever really get over the meltdowns and transition as she has TV all the time at her Mom's house.

We have stopped putting the TV on at our house about a year ago when she is here because she would zone so bad and her fits to turn it off then were far worse than they are now when it's just flat out no, the TV will be off today.

For the most part it's okay because we stay pretty busy doing all kinds of things, but if there is ever any down time the argument/meltdown starts.

Just wanted to say... I feel ya... I hate having a TV that runs lives. lol We are sticking to our TV free zone in our house though...

ribbonpurple.gif  Proud Single Mama, Birth & Postpartum Doula

Student, Aspiring CNM 
treehugger.gif  DD ~ 1/7/09   shamrocksmile.gif  DS ~ 9/22/10

User Tag List