Will this backfire? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 08-18-2009, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am cross posting this here and on the homeschooling forum.

My kids have always had access to tv and the computer. They have tvs in their rooms. I grew up that way and did not think too much of it. My kids are not putting any effort into their schooling. They just do things fast with out concern or care just to get to the computer or to the next junky tv show.

My husband is really on me to do something about this. I am thinking about cutting the tv and computer for awhile to help break their addiction to it and hopefully get them to focus on school more.

My only concern is that this will backfire and they will end up being more spiteful and give me even less effort with their school just to teach me a lesson.

I know most on this forum are tv free or considering it so I thought you all would be the best ones to ask.

So what do you think?

flower.gif Amanda flower.gif

Conservative, Christian, and Crunchy!

Wife of T, Mom of Z18, E15, M14, and D10.

Praying for a Reversal Blessing! 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 08-24-2009, 07:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You don't say what your kids' ages are, but I think removing tv & computers would be a logical consequence for not doing a good job managing school time. If the work they are doing doesn't improve, then they don't get the privilege of screen time back.

However, sometimes using things as an incentive ends up making those things even more valuable to the kids, iykwim. So they might end up even more addicted if you use screen time as a reward.

Lots of people have luck with a house rule of 'No tv til the public school kids get out of school' - maybe that would be worth a try?

The other thing I might try would be to just come iin one day and say, "Woudja look at that - cable's out! No tv & no internet for a while. Oh well!" This way they can have a screen-free stretch of time, but you're not getting into a punishment/reward dynamic with them. You decide when/if the screen options should come back into play. They will have to detox (kinda like deschooling, if you took them out of ps originally), and things will get worse at first, but you might be shocked by how much they change after a week or two!

Ok, and the last thing - if nothing else, try to at least get the tvs out of their bedrooms. Right there I think you'll see a big difference in their attitudes. Again, though, I don't know how old they are, so maybe this advice doesn't apply!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page