Any advice on how to watch less TV? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-27-2009, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know you may probably want to say..."Just turn it off" but really I feel addicted...TV makes me happy, but I don't want to be a slave to it any longer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2009, 04:07 PM

I know how you feel. TV is terribly addictive.

Blessedly, my TV broke several weeks ago. I didn't have the $$ to get it fixed at the time, and now that I've been without it for so long I've decided not to get it fixed.

Short of that, maybe some behavioral stuff would help you: unplug it and wrap the plug in several layers of tape; turn the screen toward the wall; put the TV in the back of a closet; wrap your remote in a baggies and several layers of tape so you can't get at it. Just some ideas for you to think about.

Do you like to knit or read or garden or cook? Whatever your interests, dive in with both feet. At first I felt like I was simply filling my free time, now I crave the time I can devote to my interests. We moms are always so short on that anyway.

You can do it!!

wild.gif  kickin' it old school
Old 09-27-2009, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!! I'm going to try!
Old 09-28-2009, 01:26 AM

Cancel your cable package and pretend it's not an option to get it back. Good luck! We are successfully watching VERY LITTLE TV these days, and we are soon to be cable-free when we move into new place. I like a movie now and then, and I'll probably play a show for my daughter every so often, but I will never go back to it being a daily (or even close) habit!
Old 09-28-2009, 02:16 AM

Our TV is in the basement now, out of sight, out of mind. But, years ago before I had that option and wanted to watch TV less because I was in college at the time and needed to study, I cut up a paper grocery bag large enough to cover the screen and wrote "NO!" on it. I taped it in front of the screen. It actually worked for me.

SAHM to DD (May/07) and DS (Jan/10)
Old 09-28-2009, 03:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What worked for us is that we don't want ds watching tv. So it is only on when he's not around - which isn't often!

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

Old 09-30-2009, 03:02 AM

You only think you're addicted. TV is a strange thing, you can feel SO drawn to it when you're watching it regularly, but once you give it up for even a week or two you will be surprised how it starts to lose its grip on you. It's not at all like chocolate (or for some people cigarettes) or some other addiction. I think TV is more of a "habit". It's comforting because it's company, and you don't have to think as much (about yourself, your life, your daily stresses) while it's on. I've been there! I used to turn it on when i came home from work and leave it on almost all evening. Having DS changed everything for me and wanting to do what's best for him is what gave me the incentive to get rid of TV.

I am a big believer in COLD TURKEY. It works! Just have a plan - have books, games, music, cooking, whatever you like to do - have it planned for those moments when you get the itch to turn on the TV. Don't look at the TV guide, or the tv section of the paper, don't look at People magazine and other things that will make you think of your shows! Just cut it out of your life for at least a couple weeks, and I promise you by then you will realize you don't need it at all anymore!

Attachment-Parenting mom to darling DS : (January 2006). : : : : :
Old 10-01-2009, 07:41 PM
Banned

Remove temptation by canceling cable.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:21 PM

We went down to 'basic' cable which was basically just network tv and pbs. Honestly, it didnt seem to decrease the amount of tv we watched, we just ended up watching worse shows (except pbs, it was still good). Now DH has resubscribed to the larger package because of hockey so we're back where we started. When hockey season is over in the spring, I think we need to go cold turkey...I feel your pain, OP!!

Mama to DD 4/06 notes2.gif  new DS stork-boy.gif born 17/12/10 familybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
Old 10-19-2009, 02:38 AM

when we moved to a new place we didnt get cable nor did we get a converter box that would give us a few channels. and at first i dose seem too quiet, but turn on the radio. we listen to talk radio (AM) so you get some "entertainment" from that, and really after a while you just don't miss it.

dreadlock mom to Israel 01/23/07bikenew.gif & Titus 07/10/09kid.gif

Old 11-04-2009, 10:20 PM

Cancel your cable and reallocate the money to something you'll really enjoy. If you get Netflix, you will really barely miss cable, unless you need the sports or pbs (which I do miss.) You can watch the best tv series on your own time and without commercials.

ETA: We've been cable free (no broadcast at all) for 22 months. The biggest advantages have been freedom from the effects of commercials and broadcast news. I do love to veg out in front of the tv with my knitting and a glass of wine, but I get to see the best that tv has to offer and skip the worst.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:11 AM

move the tv out of the common living areas. We do not watch tv save for an occasional college football game, which is a passion of dh's. The tv is in the basement, unplugged. we simply don't go down there very often. It really is no longer on our radar.

Mama to E (12/07) and M (01/11). homebirth.jpg
Old 01-18-2010, 02:53 PM
Banned

i would schedule. it works well for me.

for example, notice when you watch TV. do you always watch from 7-10 pm? well, go through and choose your favorite shows. . .those you absolutely LOVE. in my TV days (which ended two weeks ago), i loved The Biggest Loser, COmmunity, and 30 Rock. Luckily, the last two were on the same day. So, my TV days were Tues and Thurs.

This left Mon, Wed, and Fri (i hardly watch TV on weekends anyway) for me to 'schedule.' well, Fri i worked teaching yoga, so nothing to schedule there. That left Mon and Wed. My DH and i decided that Monday would be reading/writing night, and that Wednesday would be Music/Movie/Other activity night.

This made turning off the TV easier because i knew i had things to do on non-TV nights and i also knew that i could still indulge in my favorite shows.

now, we are moving to NZ. so, we sold our TV and DVD player. our computer can play DVDs or we can order through ITunes, so when we want to watch a movie, we can. But we will continue to be TV free.

So far, we are enjoying it. we have been online a lot more than we like (preparing for our trip), but when we move, we are sure that we will be busy with a lot of fun, life things. we are looking forward to it!
Old 01-22-2010, 05:18 PM

-
Old 01-22-2010, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We got a wii... not exactly cutting down on screen time. LOL. It does cut down on what TV shows we watch, though. Beyond that, we dropped cable and went with netflix with the instant-play device (roku). At least we weren't getting ads... Cutting down my Kid's tv watching, on the other hand, is more difficult. I think I'm just a pushover. But at least they're not getting the ads...

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

User Tag List