Little vent: Facebook related! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 10-02-2009, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I kind of got into Facebook over the summer, which I can peruse from my cell phone while nursing my youngest in bed. It is a nice way to pass the time and get caught up with folks. Since the new TV season started, though, I am surprised and dismayed by how many people use their Facebook updates to "share" what they are watching on TV, or even ask advice as to what they should watch!

I kind of want to post something about it on my Facebook page, but I would insult way too many people I know! I am just so turned off by it! And SO happy we don't watch TV! Don't people have other things to discuss?

People also use that platform to cheer on or comment on their favorite sports team. I'm also not interested! But I have slightly more tolerance for this one. Slightly.

Just my little vent...
#2 of 8 Old 10-02-2009, 12:07 PM

I do watch TV sometimes, but not a lot. But I also find it annoying when people talk about it on facebook. Sure I understand the occasional episode or show (I'm a huge Lost fan and will talk about it now and again with other friends that like it), but if it's all they talk about it can get really annoying and I start to wonder if they don't have other better things to do.

Mother to a crazy wonderful son born 7-11-09 and A very determined amazing daughter born 5-3-12!
#3 of 8 Old 10-02-2009, 12:30 PM

We were TV free for a long time (over 7 years), and I have to admit, when we started watching again, being social was so much easier.

We are so different from most people we know in so many ways, we had trouble finding things to talk about (at family functions, for example, or when seeing old friends). I could talk about homebirth, homeschooling, breastfeeding, etc. with my AP/NFL friends, but it always lead to awkward silence or arguements with everyone else. So we try to limit, but no longer abstain completely. YMMV.

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
#4 of 8 Old 10-12-2009, 12:13 AM

I hide people who constantly update about TV, sports, politics, or other subjects I find uninteresting. It makes Facebook a lot less stressful.

And I think it's cool to post status updates about MDC-ish topics on my own page--in fact I do it a lot--but I'd feel weird posting it on someone else's. If someone doesn't like what I have to say, they can hide me!

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#5 of 8 Old 10-14-2009, 07:14 PM

Lots of people use Facebook status updates for all kinds of meaningles things, (this is what I'm having for lunch, I just washed my hands) why not what they are watching on TV? :-P
#6 of 8 Old 10-14-2009, 07:19 PM
2xy

Quote:
Originally Posted by peainthepod View Post
I hide people who constantly update about TV, sports, politics, or other subjects I find uninteresting. It makes Facebook a lot less stressful.
Same here.

As for TV....I don't abstain from TV for any sort of philosophical reasons. I just find 99.9% of TV to be not worth watching. So yeah, I have trouble making TV chit-chat, too. I feel your pain.

I find the sports nuts to be the most annoying on my own FB page.
#7 of 8 Old 12-22-2009, 07:30 AM

I ignore the posts about sports and tv that I'm not interested in. It's easy enough for me to skim over and move on. I block all the Farmville, Mafia wars and the like.
I figure that's what my non-parent friends do with my dozens of posts about breastfeeding, babywearing, co-sleeping, etc.
#8 of 8 Old 12-22-2009, 11:12 AM

I usually ignore most people's posts about tv/sports and whatever else I am not interested in. I hide all the mafia wars, farmville stuff because it just clogs up my homepage. I can't discuss TV because...well... it bores me. I watch the occasional documentary, but of course nobody wants to discuss anything remotely controversial or intellectual I can't carry on a conversation about the latest TV episode.... so I find it very hard to "fit in".
I post a lot of parenting stuff... probably most people on my FB think I am crazy, but... meh.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page