Taking the plunge - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-04-2009, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, ladies... I just lugged my gigantic box TV down the hall and into a closet, along with the DVD player. Going to need a bit of encouragement and support to keep it there, though!

I have two girls, and while they've never watched television, they've logged a lot of hours looking at kid DVDs. It gets worse in the wintertime, when we're snowed in and there's (seemingly) not a lot to do. But I've had it. Every bone in my body tells me that the TV needs to go. We're starting a (very informal, very relaxed) homeschooling preschool curriculum this week, which should add some much-needed structure to our day... but I'm still nervous. It's one of those things where I know I'm doing the right thing, but it's scary nevertheless. When they watch a show, it's one of the only times of the day I can actually sit down and take a break.

Encouragement, please?

Traditional Catholic, aspiring to everyday sanctity. Mama to two amazing girls. Wife to my best friend.
#2 of 7 Old 10-05-2009, 03:45 AM

Congratulations!!! It may be bumpy for a week or two as you all adjust, but before you know it you won't miss the tv or the movies!

Attachment-Parenting mom to darling DS : (January 2006). : : : : :
#3 of 7 Old 10-05-2009, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, Elizabeth. We actually had a really great day without it-- they were so inventive in their play, and we spent a lot of time outside on the swings and slide. So nice! Things got a little hairy right before dinnertime, but then settled back down after that; it just takes a little adjustment, like you said. But adjust we all did! I am so glad.

Traditional Catholic, aspiring to everyday sanctity. Mama to two amazing girls. Wife to my best friend.
#4 of 7 Old 10-05-2009, 11:12 PM

It'll be great! You're giving them a wonderful gift!

Mama to lovely twin girls 1/08
#5 of 7 Old 10-06-2009, 08:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Good for you!!!
I'm TV free for almost two years now. I find that I feel like I have more time. I'm also starting my homeschool journey. I can tell you that it has not changed our lives that much. We are alway learning from life.

Have lots of fun.
#6 of 7 Old 10-07-2009, 10:22 PM

That is wonderful. We've been tv free and mostly screen free for the kids forever. The benefits and pleasures are huge! My children are such great company, so active, creative, happy and such non-consumers. They are great readers and great friends to each other. TV -free is messier, but they have more time to help out---and I have more time to teach them how. So I obviously think you are on the right track!

We all read alot, but we also have a daily read aloud hour right before dinner (we read, then do the final dinner prep and set the table together). It's my favorite hour of the day. This helps keep the pre-dinner madness in check.

When the going gets rough, get outside or flop down and read aloud or run a bath for them and make yourself some tea to drink tubside or take out some crayons and start to draw something yourself or wait 10 minutes and see what they come up with to do. Those crazy moments end, even when you think they won't!

Good luck and keep us posted.

Happy mom to DS2000, DS2002, DD2004, DS2006 and DS 10/2009:
#7 of 7 Old 10-09-2009, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziek View Post
We all read alot, but we also have a daily read aloud hour right before dinner (we read, then do the final dinner prep and set the table together). It's my favorite hour of the day. This helps keep the pre-dinner madness in check.

When the going gets rough, get outside or flop down and read aloud or run a bath for them and make yourself some tea to drink tubside or take out some crayons and start to draw something yourself or wait 10 minutes and see what they come up with to do. Those crazy moments end, even when you think they won't!
Love this advice! Thank you!

Things are still going well, though my little one has said more than once (in a hopeful voice), "WonderPets, Mommy?" But that's usually when it's time to eat, as that was a classic time for me to pop a movie in (they always sat still long enough to eat a bit-- and let me eat, too! -- when I put a flick on). I'm hoping that when enough time passes, they'll forget that was ever commonplace around here. Other that than, I've seen an explosion in imaginative play with both girls (it's awesome!) as well as a lot more time for arts/crafts. I pulled the easel up from the basement today, and DD1 especially was thrilled to see the tempera paint come out. I'm so glad we put that TV set away.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page