What do you notice when walking in someone's house? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 38 Old 10-08-2009, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wanted to ask this in TV Free because so many have said when visitors come in the first thing they ask is, "Where's your TV?" So, I wanted to know what you, as TV Free Mamas, notice when walking in a house??

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#2 of 38 Old 10-08-2009, 01:34 PM

The first thing I notice when I enter someone's house is whether it feels comfortable to me. Lived and loved in.

I also like to see what books people have in their houses, if any. I love perusing book collections. A surprising number of people don't seem to have any books around. However, it would be considered rude to say "Where are your books?"

Mum to DD 9/07 and DS 01/11

#3 of 38 Old 10-08-2009, 02:07 PM

I know this is TV Free, but the first thing someone would notice in my house is our 46 inch TV. They probably wouldn't see many books, but we have literally thousands. My office is filled with books, ds' bedroom is filled with books, and we have a wall of floor to ceiling shelves in the basement filled to over brimming with books. I guess the only books hanging out would be our 50 cookbooks and whatever we happen to be reading at the time. We recently de-cluttered and things are looking a bit sparse until we reorganize. I really wonder what people would think of us?????
#4 of 38 Old 10-08-2009, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Weird that people ask that. we didn't have a tv for a while and I do'nt remember anyone asking, but it was only a few months. I guess it usually is pretty prominent in most people's homes though.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#5 of 38 Old 10-08-2009, 02:17 PM

Yeah, we don't quite fit with the TV-free forum either, because we have a TV in the LVR. However, we don't have cable! The TV is there entirely for DH's occasional gaming and DVD watching It is surrounded by about a zillion books, which tends to be what people comment on or check out when they come by.

And FTR I'd feel like it was rude to ask somebody "Where's your TV?" As if the whole point of coming over was to watch it

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

#6 of 38 Old 10-12-2009, 12:07 AM

The first thing I notice is how it smells, because people's homes always smell so distinct and unique to them and I find it interesting. The second thing I notice is the bookshelf, and I usually have to stop myself from rushing over to check it out.

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#7 of 38 Old 10-12-2009, 12:12 AM

The first question that always pops into my head, and has always popped into my head - ever since I knew how to read - is "where are all the books?"

I come from a family of bookworms, and I'm one myself. Every single member of my family has a house filled wall to wall with books. No wallpaper for us - just books, lol.

My house is slightly less than this as I'm a minimalist. I try to stick to just one bookcase. But, I still have stacks and stacks of library books lying around everywhere.

I don't know if the people I know hide all their books or just don't read, but it's the very first thing I notice - the lack of books.

Btw - people also say "where's your TV?" when they come into my house. Followed by "you're joking!" when I say we don't have one.

First special delivery - April 2010 :
#8 of 38 Old 10-12-2009, 12:16 AM

We get "Where's your TV?" sometimes but usually people notice the digital projector that's attached to the ceiling and facing the only blank wall in the house. They either assume it's TV-compatible (it isn't) or they assume we're weirdo cinephiles (we are) and stop asking questions.

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#9 of 38 Old 10-14-2009, 07:16 PM

I'll have to start asking people where they keep the books, that's great!
#10 of 38 Old 11-22-2009, 02:29 PM

I also wonder about the books.

If people have no books, I ask about it. I have found I tend to have little in common with folks who don't read regularly.

Yes, yes.  I'm fabulous. loveeyes.gif  Moving on...

#11 of 38 Old 11-22-2009, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesstutu View Post
I also wonder about the books.

If people have no books, I ask about it. I have found I tend to have little in common with folks who don't read regularly.
Yep, that's us, too.

Not Tv free... but we do keep the thing on a short leash. There's plenty of other stuff to do in our lives.
#12 of 38 Old 11-22-2009, 07:33 PM

Hmm, this is somewhat worrisome. We have hundreds of books but they're all downstairs (along with the tv ) so I wonder what people think of us when they come in our house. The first thing I notice is usually pictures people have.

Now I wonder if we should bring a bookshelf upstairs or something so we look more eddicated or something

Kris - married to Nate since 12/06, mom to Toby since 1/08. Also servant to two felines. Done having babies for medical reasons.

#13 of 38 Old 11-22-2009, 08:36 PM

Kris, I wouldn't rearrange my house because of it.

Like I said, I ask. If someone tells me their books are downstairs, I won't be so quick to leave. I only keep "family-friendly" books in the living areas of the house. My occult books stay in my room.

#14 of 38 Old 11-22-2009, 08:41 PM

I will notice if there aren't that many books around. That's just because our house is overrun with books.

The best thing a mother can do is to love the children.
#15 of 38 Old 11-23-2009, 01:44 AM

People always ask us where is our TV. Followed by they either think I am kidding, or ask me " What do you do to keep the kids quiet?" Which I find sad.

I notice the toys if they are out, or I try to see whats on the bookcase if there is one.

*~Kelly~*
 Waldorf Mom to 9 blessings ~6 by birth and 3 by fost/adopt~

#16 of 38 Old 11-23-2009, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesstutu View Post
Kris, I wouldn't rearrange my house because of it.

Like I said, I ask. If someone tells me their books are downstairs, I won't be so quick to leave. I only keep "family-friendly" books in the living areas of the house. My occult books stay in my room.
Maybe not rearrange my house.... but I might need to go buy more books!

Kris - married to Nate since 12/06, mom to Toby since 1/08. Also servant to two felines. Done having babies for medical reasons.

#17 of 38 Old 11-23-2009, 03:41 AM

I notice first the smell, then the knicknacks (people do collect the strangest things--and we don't have any, really, so I'm drawn to them), stuff on the walls, books, etc. But I do feel a bit odd when the tv is roaring away--it's a sound I'm not really used to, and the vacant zombie stares of children watching it makes me cringe. Incidentally, I decluttered my books--thousands of them. And now we have very few--some for dd, about 5 that I have to read and recycle. But I don't keep them anymore. And I don't really keep them visible either. Maybe I should! But we're living pretty minimally--not a lot of visitors as there's not really anywhere to seat them!

SMC to dd 4/07.
#18 of 38 Old 11-25-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisis View Post
Maybe not rearrange my house.... but I might need to go buy more books!
Oh, of course! Any excuse to buy more books is a good one.

#19 of 38 Old 11-25-2009, 12:30 PM

I notice different things depending on the home. Some homes you walk into and before you CAN notice anything else, you're amazed at the beautiful interior decoration or maybe there is a bold theme of sorts. Another you walk and and it's, ugh, what is that SMELL? Another you'd notice "whoa, they definitely have kids" since you see toys all over the floor. Or maybe you're greeted by three large dogs. Anyway, there's always something to notice but what that is really differs.

People who walk into my house no doubt think right away "where is their sofa?" The living room is right at the front entrance but we have a weight bench and toys for DD in there, but no armchairs or sofas (much less a coffee table!) in sight. I'm not anti-sofa (quite the contrary, I love to curl up with a good book on a sofa) but one of our cats peed on the horrible 1970's sofa someone gave us out of their basement when we moved in, and we don't have the money to buy one. At this point I think I don't want one yet anyway, at least until DD is older.

When I walk into my neighbor's house, I think "wow, this is small!" (The house is probably 900-1000 sq ft, ours is 1200, but it's not just that but also the floor plan... when you walk into my house there's a lot of open space but not so with my neighbor's house).

When I walk into my mom's house, my first thought is "beautiful floors!" (actually laminate but very realistic wood grain and lots of open space, lovely) and second thought is "look at the size of that TV!" (I think it's 50-something inches).
#20 of 38 Old 12-02-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingletwitz View Post
I notice first the smell, then the knicknacks (people do collect the strangest things--and we don't have any, really, so I'm drawn to them), stuff on the walls, books, etc. But I do feel a bit odd when the tv is roaring away--it's a sound I'm not really used to, and the vacant zombie stares of children watching it makes me cringe.
pretty much

mama to Jack 5/3/09 wife to family of
#21 of 38 Old 01-07-2010, 06:32 PM
Banned

what a fascinating question!

we are now TV free (and home free, and basically own 12 boxes of books, 1 chair, 2 trunks of toys/instruments, two lap tops and 10 bags of clothes and etceteras to take with us to new zealand).

we are staying with friends who are TV lite, but their TV is HUGE (like, a zillion inches or something). by TV lite, i mean they watch TV occasionally after their LO goes to bed at 8.

the first thing i noticed when i moved into their home was the clutter. i bet that, a year or so ago, you would have noticed the same thing at my house. and you would have for the past decade.

but in Oct, i got our house down to a bare minimum (to sell it--we sold it before it went on the market though), and then i kept paring down until we got to what we own right now. for the first time in his life, my husband lived clutter free and *loved* it and wants to continue.

we will be TV free (though screen lite---we love movies and watch them about 1-2x per month) in NZ, and i think we might just stay that way (i'm hoping! DH is not entirely "on board.").

but it is true that you do notice whatever is most striking about a place when you first enter. i felt that our TV was too striking in our last house--even though we only used it to play CDs and those occasional movies!

we look forward to this adventure. i wonder what people will think when we do have a place in NZ? too empty? LOL
#22 of 38 Old 01-09-2010, 01:23 AM

That seems really weird that people ask. I know a lot of people who have their TVs downstairs in the rec/family room (us included) and the living room is couches, chairs and bookcases.

I usually notice their couches. I hate ours and have serious couch lust these days. I also notice where they have their shoes. I hate the way we store shoes so I'm on the lookout for a better idea.

obstruct livery vehicles

#23 of 38 Old 01-17-2010, 11:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fustian View Post
The first thing I notice when I enter someone's house is whether it feels comfortable to me. Lived and loved in.

I also like to see what books people have in their houses, if any. I love perusing book collections. A surprising number of people don't seem to have any books around. However, it would be considered rude to say "Where are your books?"
You would think I have no books if you visited me, but my bedroom and DD's are stuffed to the gills with books. I used to have them downstairs, but recently we reorganized the house. I was a little worried about having an entire room with no books displayed! (DD has an entire shelf in her nook under the stairs, too)

I would never notice a "missing" TV. I would notice if the place felt like it had a good vibe-- clean and comfy.
#24 of 38 Old 01-17-2010, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife View Post
I wanted to ask this in TV Free because so many have said when visitors come in the first thing they ask is, "Where's your TV?" So, I wanted to know what you, as TV Free Mamas, notice when walking in a house??
Well, I'm not TV free, but the first things I notice about a person's house is if it's welcoming, with open spaces, comfy places to sit, clean, smells fresh but not perfumed, has a spacious kitchen, is uncluttered, the colors, furniture layout, pictures hanging on the wall, and whether or not they have animals. I don't think I'd even notice whether or not they have a TV.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#25 of 38 Old 01-18-2010, 02:22 AM

We are thinking of putting our house on the market and had our realtor here the other day. He asked me where the tv was three times--in the living room an bedroom and kids' room. funny.

Happy mom to DS2000, DS2002, DD2004, DS2006 and DS 10/2009:
#26 of 38 Old 01-18-2010, 02:25 AM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
The first question that always pops into my head, and has always popped into my head - ever since I knew how to read - is "where are all the books?"

I come from a family of bookworms, and I'm one myself. Every single member of my family has a house filled wall to wall with books. No wallpaper for us - just books, lol.

My house is slightly less than this as I'm a minimalist. I try to stick to just one bookcase. But, I still have stacks and stacks of library books lying around everywhere.

I don't know if the people I know hide all their books or just don't read, but it's the very first thing I notice - the lack of books.
Me, too.

Which reminds me of the Anna Quindlen quote: "I would be the most content if my children grew up to be the type of people who think decorating a house consists mainly of building enough bookshelves."

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#27 of 38 Old 01-22-2010, 06:29 PM

I don't know very many people who have their TV in the living room, so when I do see one right there, I'm always surprised.

Otherwise, I notice scent.
#28 of 38 Old 02-05-2010, 03:49 PM

I always notice the way a home smells. Later how comfortable and welcoming it is.

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
#29 of 38 Old 02-05-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainyday View Post
I don't know very many people who have their TV in the living room, so when I do see one right there, I'm always surprised.

Otherwise, I notice scent.
Where else would a TV be?

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#30 of 38 Old 02-05-2010, 11:00 PM

I notice the smell. And I do notice if they have a massive big screen with furniture circling it like some kind of ritual performance

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page