If You're Normally TV-Free or Lite, What About When Your LO is Ill? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 35 Old 10-17-2009, 02:00 PM
AGF

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
we watch a little tv. however, right now all four of us have a terrible cold. And I'm afraid our tv might overheat.

its really important to me that the kids stay rested and hydrated. if i set them up with a snack and a movie they will do both. in fact they both just fell asleep on the couch and i moved them to bed without issue. Being sick STINKS. I'm just trying to keep their minds off it.

Go for it, if you don't watch tv very much then it is a treat on a crappy day.
#32 of 35 Old 10-17-2009, 10:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
we are TV free but would not hesitate to let a sick child sit in front of a TV all day if we had one. heaven knows thats what I would do if I were sick.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#33 of 35 Old 10-17-2009, 10:38 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
We view a lot of dvds when my dd is sick. I hated having to just lay around even though I was clearly miserable because all I could be was miserable. DD gets movies and popsicles on the couch and I try to keep the focus on comfort. Once she is fever free without ibuprofen though the tv goes off for a long long long time and she goes back to school. We started doing this when dd was two and even though she was so young she was still very engaged in the movies and it kept her mind off her illness.
#34 of 35 Old 10-18-2009, 10:32 AM

I think you are getting a lot of TV- lite mamas, so in my mind if a child is already allowed to watch a little, they're much more likely to watch when sick. Make sense?

If you ask in the TV free forum, you might get more people like us. DS is 2.5 and is 100% TV free. We have a TV, DVD player, surround sound, cable with pay channels, DVR... (Ridiculous when you consider DH and I watch about 4-6 hours a week combined, but DH works hard for a big pay check and I won't fight him!)

But DS is totally TV free. When he's sick it is mild and he just plays as usual (if not a little slower and maybe a little more demanding of me as playmate). The last time he was noticeably lethargic from illness he was 14 months and he just nursed in and out of sleep all day. When he was awake we read a lot of books.

As he gets older, if the lethargic kind of illness happens, we'll play board games or he can read (looking at pictures now, reading in a few years). I'd also consider children's books on tape if I need a break!
#35 of 35 Old 11-08-2009, 10:10 PM

We are TV free with three boys ages 6, 4, and almost 1. We are in general screen time free though they have watched a handful of sporting events.

Even though I grew up with TV it was not part of my routine when I was sick, so until I read this thread I'd never realized how comforting idea of watching TV or movies when ill is for so many people. As a child my own infrequent illnesses were divided into two categories: sick and still able to read, or too sick to read. In the "too sick to read" situations, I mostly made up my own stories or stared at the ceiling.

We've never added in screen time when my boys have been sick. If they are sick enough to put themselves to bed (something that doesn't happen much around here) I figure they need to rest and leave them alone. I might inquire if there is a special toy or comfort item that they need while in bed and whether or not they want the door shut (for quiet) or the door open (to be able to hear what the rest of us are up to).

If they are well enough to be out of bed but just need to play quietly, we have a bunch of toys and games that are well suited for that and are part of their regular selection of activities (Playmobil, Legos, train set, building blocks, puzzles). I might also set a child up with an activity that they can do while hanging out on the couch or the bed if that felt best to them.

The six year old can read, so I imagine that if he was feeling bad enough to need to stay still, he woul hunker down with a book. Both older boys love to listen to stories on tape and I'd be happy to set up some favorites for them (Beatrix Potter stories, Rikki Ticki Tavi, etc)

I've read of parents adding in screen time for a child that needed a medical procedure or treatment that was invasive or painful and/or required a child to stay still for a lot longer than they child was normally able. I can see myself turning to that if all other options had been exhausted or weren't working for a child.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page