If You're Normally TV-Free or Lite, What About When Your LO is Ill? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 35 Old 10-16-2009, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're very, very, very light on the TV with DD.

But, unfortunately, she's been lethargic and throwing up all morning.

I'm debating popping in a movie and snuggling with her since all she can do is lay around and be sick. But a small part of me is screaming "NO TV!" because its so deeply ingrained in my beliefs.

So, if you typically limit TV, how does that change when your kiddos are ill? Do you change your thoughts and limits? Do you try to get creative and entertain them without the TV?

R~Mama to my sweet A 7//07 & bubbly Z 3/12

AND belly.gif due 9/13

#2 of 35 Old 10-16-2009, 02:08 PM

When my kids are sick, the tv will go on. They don't like to do anything if they're feeling truly sick and the don't want to listen to me read a story either, so the tv goes on and they zone out. And, yeah, my limits go right out the window when someone is as sick as your dd seems to be. That's when I get in survival mode!

Mama of three.

#3 of 35 Old 10-16-2009, 02:09 PM

well ds is rick right now too. He has a fever and wants to nurse constantly. We are usually light on tv, but he has wached a lot yersterday and already today and probably will watch even more later. Right now my choice seems to be between him nursing my nipples off or letting him watch tv. So tv wins!
#4 of 35 Old 10-16-2009, 02:14 PM

We do YouTube videos when the LO is really ill or if her teeth are bothering her alot. It's not the best solution, but the 'survival mode' thing resonates here!
#5 of 35 Old 10-16-2009, 02:20 PM

If we're going to have any screen time, I like movies or videos from the library instead of TV (just to avoid the commercials). But we never got an HD converter, so TV isn't even an option in our house. And in the case of a sick LO, I think some screen time is okay.

mommy to Christopher 2/29/08
#6 of 35 Old 10-16-2009, 02:23 PM

Even when I'm sick now, as an adult, I want chicken soup, gatorade, movies, and my mom taking care of me! It's a great, healing tradition!
#7 of 35 Old 10-16-2009, 02:32 PM

We don' watch any TV at all, and limit movies... but when my daughter is sick the movies come on! She literally cannot sleep when she is sick, and baths and movies are the only two things that are able to distract her. it is either a movie marathon for a couple days or my little one crying in misery. We go for the movies with no guilt.
#8 of 35 Old 10-16-2009, 02:41 PM

We do no tv on weekends, no tv in the summer, and very limited the rest of the year. (only PBS and dvds)

BUT when DD is sick, she's allowed to watch PBS kids or movies. She wants me to read to her when she's sick so I read as much as I can. But if she's too lethargic to play, she's allowed to watch something.

DD has no trouble understanding that we go back to normal routines once her energy level is back.
#9 of 35 Old 10-16-2009, 02:59 PM
Banned

We are TV free, but we have absolutely no limits on TV when DS is sick. I try to stretch it out though, so that he watches a movie and then does something else for a while before we do TV again. He likes books on tape and music too. Sometimes he likes just snuggling and talking, but I'm always worried about me getting sick too because he likes to be right in my face.
#10 of 35 Old 10-16-2009, 03:07 PM

We are light tv (occasional tivod Mythbusters or similar programs, while traveling on planes and limited movies-never actual "tv") However, when illness strikes we have unlimited movies. My daughter is often not supposed to be running around while she is ill and movies make that situation easier. Also, my kids rarely sleep in chunks (yeh for sporadic naps) while sick so the movies can help me get some sleep.

I find it helps to have a set system of what movies, tv etc will be available for children if/when they get sick. I love having a whole list I can turn to when my child gets ill.

Note-I am not light movies or dvd's for myself so I think I have less "guilt" about my kids watching. We use sick time to do film history lessons...yes, because I'm a freak like that...
#11 of 35 Old 10-16-2009, 03:12 PM

We don't really watch TV per se, but we do have some DVDs and old VHS tapes that my kids watch on a very limited basis, plus a Netflix sub. I limit it a lot-- my kiddos probably watch about four videos a months.

But when they're sick, all bets are off, and we allow unrestricted viewing. I do sometimes have trouble, though, at the end of an illness, helping the kids to understand why all of a sudden we're back to restrictions again. So it's good to talk about that part ahead of time-- we watch TV when we're sick, and that's okay, but when we get better again it's time to do other things all day.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#12 of 35 Old 10-16-2009, 03:23 PM

No TV here, either; but we do have "movie nights." When dd is sick, she can watch TV as much as she wants. Yes, I try my best to interact with her and do other things; but when she's really sick, even the sound of my voice can irritate her. So dh brings home videos from the library and it's entirely her choice how much she watches. Why shouldn't she have a little "guilty pleasure" when she feels miserable? She can't really read yet (she's 5), so she doesn't have that option. When I'm sick, I get dh to bring home trashy magazines and read those. But even I like a movie when I feel crappy. Also, I think it gives dd a sense of control to get to choose something when her body isn't feeling good. Thankfully, we don't get sick very often (touch wood)! Not sure if our rules would change if it was a frequent occurrence. There is usually a bit of a "detox" that has to happen for a day or two post-illness, but nothing major. Honestly, there's not much I wouldn't do to help my babe feel better when she's sick. One time, she had a NASTY virus with a fever of 104 for over a week (maybe scarlet fever). She'd been asking for purple Crocs for MONTHS. Well, when I went to fill a prescription for her, the sports store was right next door. On impulse, I went to buy her the shoes. I swear they did more to make her feel better than the medicine did. She wore them in bed and slept with them on. It's all about morale.
#13 of 35 Old 10-16-2009, 03:24 PM

Another vote for "movies when sick." The kids know that being sick is basically a screen time bonanza

#14 of 35 Old 10-16-2009, 03:25 PM

We don't have a tv, dvd player, etc. So, we do books on tape when DD is sick.
#15 of 35 Old 10-16-2009, 04:11 PM

We are light on the TV time around here normally but a sick kid equals unlimited TV. To this day that is ALL I want to do when I am really sick. It keeps my mind off of feeling crappy. My kids feel the same way. I'm happy to put on movies or TV shows when they are truly feeling awful (if they are still capable of playing and want to be up and around then they aren't sick enough for unlimited-tv though... lol).

It is all about what keeps them the most comfortable and keeps my sanity. I tuck them into bed or onto the couch with a glass of water, some crackers and a movie.

Beth )O( Homeschooling Mama to blahblah.gif DS (7) luxlove.gif DD (5) and sleepytime.gif DS (1) & #4 on the way in October!!! love.gif
 homebirth.jpgecbaby2.giffemalesling.GIFbf.jpgsewmachine.gifrainbow1284.gifnovaxnoIRC.gifphotosmile2.gif

#16 of 35 Old 10-16-2009, 04:11 PM

Unrestricted tv when ds is sick and lethargic.
If he's home with a cold but not lethargic, we a little tv and then long warm baths with eucalyptus oil and lots of tub play, board games, and reading.
#17 of 35 Old 10-16-2009, 04:27 PM

All bets are off when the little ones are sick. If tv keeps them happy and rested, it can be on constantly.
<-because dd wanted that smilie.

Mother of two. : 4/05 and 1/07 Wife of one. : 7/01
#18 of 35 Old 10-16-2009, 04:29 PM

We're both sick today! My baby is only 8 months old, but I will admit to letting myself have a half hour of peace thanks to some Barney today. We were up a LOT last night, and it wasn't even her fault since I was making frequent bathroom trips. That's quite a lot to me for a baby, but if she were older, I'd let her veg on TV all day if she was very sick.
#19 of 35 Old 10-16-2009, 05:10 PM

I do very limited TV with the kids. When they are sick, they can watch TV, but I still try to find other things to occupy them first.

DD woke up with a fever of 102 today. I read to her for about an hour and then she slept for a few hours. When I called to check on her, she was watching TV with the nanny.

We do have the problems though of them watching too much TV when they are sick and then wanting to keep watching after they are not sick anymore. That part is frustrating!
#20 of 35 Old 10-16-2009, 05:15 PM

we don't have a tv - just a laptop that we sometimes watch movies on.

dd is still really little and probably should not watch any movies yet, but also has not really been sick that much...when she is a bit older i will let her watch movies when she is sick. all day long if she wants.

Katie
#21 of 35 Old 10-16-2009, 05:49 PM

It is not a habit we have gotten into because logistically, it just doesn't work out. The only way to watch a movie in our house is on laptops. If dd is sick, she usually is not cool with being dragged to the library or video rental place, so there is no way to go and get one. Plus, I work on my laptop during the day, so it cannot be tied up with a movie. Now dd, is old enough to read books. So I snuggle her up on the couch with blankets, books, and tea. Before she could read on her own, I would give her free reign of stories on her Ipod. But usually, dd likes to do her normal stuff when sick anyway so she will be off playing with toys or drawing or something.

Once when I was out of town, dh AND dd came down with the FLU. They were in awful shape and could not leave the bed except to go to the bathroom and take pizza from the delivery guy. The story was pretty fuzzy, but I am guessing they watched A LOT of Youtube.

I DO watch movies when I am sick enough to not be doing my normal stuff But that is so rare, I cannot remember the last time it happened.
#22 of 35 Old 10-16-2009, 06:44 PM

We are TV free, but sick can be one of the exceptions for us. It depends on the kind of sick. I will let them watch movies for fever or throwing up. But I also let them watch movies on car trips or plane rides >4 hours, so we are not 100%.
#23 of 35 Old 10-16-2009, 07:03 PM

My kids are almost completely tv free, and I always offer tv/DVDs when illness strikes.
#24 of 35 Old 10-16-2009, 07:16 PM

We are TV-lite and I am all for popping in movies when ds (or myself) is sick.

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK
#25 of 35 Old 10-16-2009, 08:08 PM

Just a note on tv, as we have done a lot today (all dvds and such as we don't have channels) apparently Labyrinth is too scary for a 26 month old!
#26 of 35 Old 10-16-2009, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
i do a bit of both.

i snuggle in and read to her.

or a movie.

i notice it really helps with her getting better coz it takes her mind off the pain or high fever. i have actually done pain management by diverting her mind. it works v. well for her.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#27 of 35 Old 10-16-2009, 10:25 PM

We don't have a TV, but dd does watch Dora the Explorer on the computer (one episode--20 mins--per day) and very rarely we'll watch part of a movie.

If she's sick...all bets are off. I'll let her watch as much as she wants (when she was under 2.5, though, she was completely screen-free, sick or not). We also read a TON and play games and color, but if she's sick enough to be home all day from school, then there's only so much entertaining I can do, and normally I have some work that has to be done.
#28 of 35 Old 10-16-2009, 10:32 PM

I'm happy to see I'm not the only one. We don't get any channels at all, but we've got dvd's which are heavily regulated normally, but when he's sick he can watch all he wants.

Jayne, sewing up a storm mama to ds1 9/03, ds2 2/09, and 2 sweet furbabies.

#29 of 35 Old 10-16-2009, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirMiami View Post
We're both sick today! My baby is only 8 months old, but I will admit to letting myself have a half hour of peace thanks to some Barney today.
This was me and my 9 month old a few days ago. I openly admit to partaking in some Nick Jr. I think watching TV while sick is perfectly fine. (I also think Yo Gabba Gabba, which I saw for the first time during our illness, is really weird. LOL)

Me, DH, and 2 babyboy.gif.
#30 of 35 Old 10-17-2009, 12:46 AM

We don't watch much TV at our house at all -- just an occasional DVD and a very rare PBS show. But if the kids are sick I don't mind letting them watch as much as they want. Being sick is horrible and if they get a treat that makes them feel better, it's good for them AND for me.

Same goes if *I'm* sick, by the way. My husband was on a business trip when I was pregnant with DD2, and I had a horrible, horrible sinus infection. We must have watched that goddamn Elmo Uses the Potty video forty times that week.

Hmm, now that I think about it, the "treat" was pretty onesided there, lol. But I was so sick I didn't even care, as long as I didn't have to do anything other than lie there!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page