getting rid of the tv - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-09-2009, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i'm trying to convince my dh that we should get rid of our tv, for a myriad of reasons. First of all we have a huge energy consuming flat screen. california banned the sale of them because they are so inefficient. secondly i don't believe that there is any way to fully control what children watch on tv. we can be watching a football game and there are ads full of scary images, sex and violence. it's also very expensive to have cable. i think we pay $80 a month or so, and that doesn't include our internet. and i suppose i have a problem with the tv for aesthetic reasons. we've had to section off our living room so the baby can't get to the dvd player, video games, etc. the thing i find frustrating is that my dh is very pro energy restriction. he believes that we should have taxes on energy consumption. uhhh.....shouldn't energy conservation start at home?

Wife to amazing dh, mama to dd 12/08
#2 of 6 Old 12-09-2009, 01:30 PM

So, what is your DH saying when you bring this up to him?

One thing you could suggest is getting rid of the cable package and only using it for DVDs, maybe a couple times a week. Then you have a lot more control over content, and your DH can see how life is with reduced screen time without actually putting the thing on the curb. Thus already saving cable and energy expenses.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#3 of 6 Old 12-09-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottishmommy View Post
i'm trying to convince my dh that we should get rid of our tv, for a myriad of reasons. First of all we have a huge energy consuming flat screen. california banned the sale of them because they are so inefficient. secondly i don't believe that there is any way to fully control what children watch on tv. we can be watching a football game and there are ads full of scary images, sex and violence. it's also very expensive to have cable. i think we pay $80 a month or so, and that doesn't include our internet. and i suppose i have a problem with the tv for aesthetic reasons. we've had to section off our living room so the baby can't get to the dvd player, video games, etc. the thing i find frustrating is that my dh is very pro energy restriction. he believes that we should have taxes on energy consumption. uhhh.....shouldn't energy conservation start at home?
Here's a great compromise if your hubby can't be convinced. Unsubscribe to your cable, subscribe to Netflix (it's less than $20 for 2 DVDs at a time plus unlimited streaming video) and buy a Roku box ($99 off of Amazon). The Roku box enables you to stream video onto your TV.

We LOVE it! We have no commercials and can control what we put on the Roku box from our Netflix accounts (password protected on the computer). I'm hoping we can still do it when our DD is older (she's only 9 months right now), because it's a fantastic way to have control over what comes into our house and we have a HUGE selection of movies and TV shows to watch. Some of them come on the day of or the day after they actually air on their real channels.

Also, if you can't talk your DH into getting rid of the TV, perhaps he can be talked into buying a nice CRT off of Craigslist. Fantastic ones are selling really cheap right now and they take up so much less electricity. Basically you can get a bigger TV for thousands of dollars less than buying a flat panel.

Money talks!

Enjoying the adventure of NFL with my partner-in-crime , DD 03.09 , , &
#4 of 6 Old 12-09-2009, 05:54 PM

A plan I am working on for when we move is to have our tv on a cart that lives in the closet. I know a few people who do this and it works well - it is out of the way, you need a reasonable sized tv, and you need to think about watching it rather than just turning it on.

Right now I have no suitable closet, but we don't have cable. We rent movies sometimes. I have thought of getting rid of it all together, but there are a few shows I really enjoy, and I like being able to rent DVDs since I can't remember the last time I managed to see a movie.

I like the mind to be a dustbin of scraps of brilliant fabric, odd gems, worthless but fascinating curiosities, tinsel, quaint bits of carving, and a reasonable amount of healthy dirt.
#5 of 6 Old 12-09-2009, 06:47 PM

Moving to "TV Free"

#6 of 6 Old 12-09-2009, 11:52 PM

I would say if you have a big honkin flat screen and $80 a month cable bill that someone in your family likes tv. We have and like tv here. I am watching Glee while surfing the internet right now. BUT the tv does not rule our lives. DD watches a couple of shows a day but most of the day the tv is off. I generally have it on in the background at night when she is in bed and we have several shows we DVR and watch at our pleasure.

Mom to Morgan 4-3-06 and announcing Baby Kelsey 4-11-10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page