TV free when you're tired? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 01-13-2010, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was excited to find this forum a few weeks ago but it always seems to be dead, hopefully there are people here!!!

11mo DS is starting to pay a little attention to the TV in the background so I'd like to stop watching TV while he's awake. Usually we only watch TV after 8pm because we're too tired to do anything else, but DS doesn't fall asleep 'til midnight most nights (does take an hour+ nap around 8 though)... so that's 2-4 hours when the TV is on in the background for him!! Plus I hate TV anyway. I never used to watch it until I started feeling tired all the time a few years ago (CFS)... Trouble is, by 8pm, I can't function well enough to read a book or anything. I have no concentration (usually lose track of the TV shows too). What do you do when you're too tired to do anything but watch TV??? I'm sure there's a million things & I'm just not thinking of them...

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 01-14-2010, 12:57 AM

Before we went TV free we discovered that having it on with our DS in the room made the going to bed process take FOREVER! FOREVER! SO I wonder what would happen if you turn it off. Would he fall asleep easier/sooner/earlier/quicker?

What do I do when I'm too tired to do anything? I go to bed! Seriously! I don't mean to be snarky. But TV just wired your brain up. It isn't restful to watch. So why bother?
#3 of 14 Old 01-14-2010, 01:05 AM

^^^ Yeah, this. If I'm so tired I can't even read, it is time to go to sleep!
#4 of 14 Old 01-14-2010, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelilah View Post
^^^ Yeah, this. If I'm so tired I can't even read, it is time to go to sleep!
I get that tired around 8pm. I cannot ever ever fall asleep before 10 or 11pm. Even as a very young kid I couldn't go to sleep before 10 (and I didn't watch TV when I was a kid). I find reading (if I'm able to concentrate on it) makes me stay up even later but TV bores me enough to help me wind down & go to sleep.

Maybe the CFS is more of a problem than I thought... I just assumed everyone with a young kid etc. got tired way before they went to sleep.

DS doesn't really watch the TV... until recently he didn't even know it was there, now he just occasionally dances to the music in a loud commercial or glances up once or twice an hour. I doubt it's interfering with him going to sleep because when he's on a good schedule he'll go to be around 8 or 9pm regardless of if the TV's on...

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#5 of 14 Old 01-14-2010, 01:34 PM

Play music.
#6 of 14 Old 01-14-2010, 03:54 PM

I personally find that when I don't watch tv, I get tired much earlier and get to bed much earlier than I do when I watch. I find that I want to finish a show so I keep watching. When I don't watch tv, I am ready to sleep a few hours earlier than if I was watching programs.

For me, my body starts to slow down around 7 pm. My daughter is the same but my son is a night owl, and an early bird. I of course have to stay awake until my son is alseep.. so we cuddle up and read, I also try to stay busy if my son is playing nicely, I pick up, get stuff going for the next day etc.
#7 of 14 Old 01-14-2010, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Maybe I'm just weird. I don't have any impulse to stay awake & watch the rest of the show -- I'm bored by it, it's just background noise. I actually used to have major insomnia until in college I got a TV & left it on while I was drifting off to sleep. Hmm..

Music, I like that idea... I could use a few more ideas like that Thanks!!

#8 of 14 Old 01-14-2010, 04:02 PM

I have a 3 month old and feel completely wiped out by 7 pm or so. We are cable free but have a netflix subscription. I watch one dvd or an episode of a series. That being said, I would love to be completely screen free but I enjoy watching movies so much that I allow myself that luxury.

E married to J, angel1.gif 7/08, DD 10/09, DS 5/12

http://minimummama.blogspot.com/

#9 of 14 Old 01-15-2010, 05:50 PM

Pod Casts? I love them!
#10 of 14 Old 01-15-2010, 06:04 PM

I second podcasts, and would add audio books as well. I love listening to audio books while doing the dishes or knitting in the evenings.

Mum to DD 9/07 and DS 01/11

#11 of 14 Old 01-15-2010, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Audio books! Great idea, I've never tried them but it sounds like I'd enjoy it. Maybe my library will have some.

I have no clue what a podcast is

#12 of 14 Old 01-17-2010, 10:00 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fustian View Post
I second podcasts, and would add audio books as well. I love listening to audio books while doing the dishes or knitting in the evenings.
I third audio books....since going TV free I have listen to so many books.

I loved the Little House audio books. They where very well done. My son also enjoyed them.
#13 of 14 Old 01-18-2010, 05:40 PM

Audio books are awesome!!! I have just started getting my 2 1/2 year old into them and they give me a much needed break with out sticking him in front of a TV!!

Fun loving crunchy mommy to an amazing outgoing adventurous boy named Logan Cloud 2/2/07 and our little ball of energy Jayden Edge 11/28/10 and wife to Jet 7/3/05 expecting our third 09/21/14

}
#14 of 14 Old 01-19-2010, 01:39 AM

I fall to sleep with the TV and have for years. We are very close to going TV free in March

happy family!joy.gif we winner.jpgfemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page