Curious... Am I TV Free? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-23-2010, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm wondering what people's opinions are.

We have a tiny 12 inch tv that I bought second hand. We don't have cable, satelite or anything. The plan was to hook it up to a dvd player but the dvd player is broken.

However, we do watch our favourite tv shows online. Heroes, Big Love, Lost (soon), True Blood and the occasional Simpsons or Daily Show. I've also been working my way through Gilmore Girls when I'm bored. We probably watch on average 2 shows a week. (Depends when our favourites are "in season")

I feel so much better watching tv this way. Less ads, the tv isn't on as background noise, I don't sit in front of it mindlessly watching shows just because they're on. I have to know about a show, go out and find it then watch it when I'm in the mood.

People we know find this crazy and I'm sure some thought it was a money issue (which it's not although we do enjoy the savings!) We have had people say that our home is too quiet but I like having less noise.

So, am I TV free? I think I know the answer, just curious what other's think.

Blogging about renovations in our first home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2010, 02:16 PM

I'd say no, you aren't tv free, but if it works for you, does it really matter? We have two televisions, DirecTV (so dh can watch Red Wings games), and DVD players. However, we still rarely watch television. The kids might put Discovery on for some documentary they have been wanting to see. We sometimes rent a movie (we did last night), and dh records the games so he can watch them at his convenience and skip through commercials. We watch less television/movies than friends who claim to be tv free. We aren't tv free, but it works for us.

Mom to Eoin (11/02), Eilis (09/04), Eamon (07/07), and Ellery (04/10)
Old 01-23-2010, 02:21 PM

why does it matter? why do you need the label?
Old 01-23-2010, 02:33 PM

I watch a similar amount of TV to you, following a few series online. I don't consider myself TV-free at all (because I do watch TV regularly, just less hours than the average person). When I need to explain (usually because someone at work says, "have you seen that commercial for x?" or something), I just say I don't watch much TV.

Mommy to  N baby.gif, born 2/20/12.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

I'm not looking for a label, it's an experiment. Most people we know in real life think we're tv free *freaks* because we don't have cable/satellite etc. They think our house is too quiet, that it's boring here and that we're just plain lacking.

But, I know that here (MDC), we're in no way freaks. That some people take it further and we're "cheating" by watching tv online.

No, I'm happy with the level of tv watching going on here. I feel so much more free and at peace with myself, not having the tv on, blaring away in the background all the time. I love not being bombarded with commercial messages all day long. I'm really loving our lives right now, we just bought a little house in the country and instead I listen to the birds chirping and look outside my windows and just enjoy the quietness.

Blogging about renovations in our first home
Old 01-25-2010, 01:52 AM

We have a tv but don't have cable and really like it. We do watch movies we get from the library. I have been noticing lately that there are alot of people that are doing the same thing. The thing that we like the most is that we can control what are kids are watching and are exposed to.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:27 PM

When my hubby and I got married we decided to not waste the money on a tv. We get all of the shows we like to watch online, so what was the point? We watch television shows, but I guess we're technically tv free since there's no tv in the house. Once a week I pick up my nephew from school and he's so bored until I turn the computer on for him and he watches YouTube videos.

Wife[Corey.Jul07] Mother[Asher.Dec08] ClothDiapering[Dec09]

User Tag List