tell me about your tv free time with dh/dp - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-31-2010, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So Dh and I have talked about going tv free - we didnt have a tv for the first several months of our marriage but then we moved to a place where we have free cable and my uncle gave us his old TV because they were getting a new one. so we've had a tv for the past year and a half.

it seems like we've gotten into the habit of spending all our evenings in front of the TV - we put dd to bed and then cuddle together on the couch and watch TV until its time to go to bed.

i hate that we've fallen into this habit and i would love to go TV free (my DH isn't quite on board at this point) but to be honest watching TV together has become such a habit that it's hard to imagine how we would spend our evenings without the TV. I'm hoping to try to start off with doing a few evenings a week TV free and hopefully eventually convince dh to sell the TV. (when we didn't have a TV we would often spend evenings watching movies on our laptops so it was basically the same thing)

What do you do in the evenings after your LOs go to bed to connect with your dh/dp?

My DH is in an intense graduate program so I know he enjoys the mindlessness of TV to relax and unwind after long days of reading/writing ppaers.

Loving wife to DH and buddamomimg1.pngmama to DD (11/08) and DS (2/12)

#2 of 8 Old 01-31-2010, 08:11 PM

Well, sometimes we work on separate projects or what have you. Sometimes that time is at least partially used up catching up on stuff around the house. Sometimes we read, alone or to each other. Sometimes we talk. In the craziness of life we find we never have time to do that. We are often intimate. Often we snuggle up together and just enjoy each other.

About once a week we do enjoy a movie together too.
#3 of 8 Old 02-01-2010, 10:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
We do watch a movie on the weekend. But I LOVE reading together. We even would read while we where dating. We read to many books to count!
#4 of 8 Old 02-01-2010, 10:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
We read or play on our computers mostly but we talk quite a bit while we're doing those things too. Other than that just random projects/housework-y type things either separately or together but always connecting with each other through chat.

If we have something serious to talk about we stop other activities and just talk though.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#5 of 8 Old 02-02-2010, 01:46 PM

Sometimes we play a game together (usually Scrabble ~ love to kick his A$$ ). He's very involved in model railroading and will build train cars while I sew or read. Sometimes we just sit and talk on the sofa. We try not to be on the computer when we have time together.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#6 of 8 Old 03-18-2010, 12:10 AM

We are going for more "mindful" tv rather than none at all. But what is helping us watch less and enjoy more is to tape shows on the DVR and netflicks- we watch what we really like and fast forward through commercials. We are also moving the TV into the basement as more of an adult space after DD goes to bed.
#7 of 8 Old 03-31-2010, 02:23 PM

We sometimes play a game, like Scrabble or cribbage and eat popcorn and talk about the day. Since we're family bedders, we also sometimes use this time in the evening to be intimate. Or, we work on house projects together that didn't get addressed during the day, like folding clothes or putting away dishes, or sometimes one of us zones out on the computer while the other reads or takes a bath or whatever. We usually go to bed early around here, though, by 10:30 at the latest.
We do sometimes watch a movie via Netflix, but it's rare these days. I do sort of miss movie night, but I did end up feeling like a vegetable when that's all we did after babe went to bed. Not enough talking/connecting was going on.

Married to P and mama to DS (1/09)blahblah.gifand DD  (09/13 babygirl.gif). I'm into friends and family, gardening, exercise, yoga, reading, knitting, photos, traditional foods, breastfeeding, home birth, babywearing, and much more. 
#8 of 8 Old 03-31-2010, 09:56 PM

We watch way too much TV in our house now, but when we're traveling or camping without TV, we usually play games together, like board or card games. I love sleeping over at relatives' houses, because they don't have TV in the guest bedrooms we sleep in, so after DS is asleep, DH & I talk. It's just great!

Wife to DH (10/2004) ~ Mama to DS (1/2009) ~ belly.gif (11/2011)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page