going tv free, cold turkey or slowly? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 02-06-2010, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have decided to get rid of our tv since it has really started to inhibit our sons play and has become a crutch for both DH and I. We are just trying to figure out if it is best to go slowly or to just make the tv go away one night.

Also ideas on what to do with ourselves! We were tv free for a year, but seem to have forgotten how that worked!

Thanks for your thoughts/advice.

Julie ~ homesteading, Traditional Catholic, wife to Chip, mom to Angelbaby(4-06), DS (3-07), and DD (11-09).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 02-08-2010, 05:06 PM

From what I've read and seen, cold turkey is the way to go. Pick a day on the calender and either move the tv out of the room or unplug it. One of the best pieces of advice I've heard is to have some activities planned for the first week or two after you get rid of the tv. Maybe pick a week that you're out of the house during your most frequent watching time?

Check out the resources sticky at the top for some great books to help you fill your time. It won't take long for you to get back to your tv-free lifestyle!

B.
Mama to : July '06
#3 of 3 Old 02-08-2010, 06:11 PM

Hi!

We're just starting too! I don't know which is better but we went cold turkey. Once we get through one whole week without it we're going to try a once a week movie night I think. We will see. I wish I had read the above post before we went for it. Then I would have had some activities in place or at least some audiobooks checked out or SOMETHING. Especially with our older son maybe if you had some awesome stuff going on he wouldn't even miss it until he was over it. I didn't plan I just decided one day we shouldn't watch it and so we kinda floundered hence my thread "It is our first night tv free and we're bored". Good luck. It isn't easy but we're having a great time!

I have boys! My first baby boy was born 10/08 and my second baby boy was born 7/12

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page