for TV-free families who make some exceptions for DVDs, what DVDs do you allow? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-10-2010, 07:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is more for older children, but we love all the Studio Ghibli movies. For younger kids a few of them would work: Ponyo (though DH and I can't stand it: the animation is great but the story just doesn't make a lot of sense), Kiki's Delivery Service, and My Neighbor Totoro. They have great messages about taking care of the environment, love, family, respect... We just love them!

Mama to 3 awesome girls: DD1 born 2001, DD2 born 2002, DD3 born March 2011

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2010, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceAndLove View Post
And I believe you can purchase and download entire seasons on iTunes.

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:45 PM

No one has yet mentioned The Little Travelers series-- travel documentaries made by a Waldorfy family with two little girls, who narrate the adventures. The movies are sweet, slow-paced, interesting for adults (well, the first few times through) and culturally sensitive. There are episodes in Japan, Iran, the British Isles, Bali, and somewhere else.... My five and three-year-old love them, and I feel like they are a good exception to our general lack of screentime. Three of the episodes are available on DVD from netflix.

Kristen's Fairy House is another lovely one-- slow, sweet, not overdone story about a girl who visits an island with her aunt, an artist, and they see many beautiful fairy houses and have very mild adventures.

There's a series called "Little Hardhats" that we have found to be fun for both of the kids, with episodes on firefighters, construction workers, etc. Again, slower paced and not frantic. Though the music is annoying.

PBS has 25 or so episodes of Mr. Rogers available streaming on the website, and I have been surprised at how appropriate and enjoyable most of them still are (though my daughter, at 5, still considers a couple of the "make believe" situations too scary-- so you see the "slow" requirement I keep mentioning) http://pbskids.org/rogers/vote/

We also sometimes watch Life of Mammals or Life of Birds episodes streaming on netflix. They are the only wildlife documentaries I've ever seen that don't totally emphasize the killing/eating aspect of animal life. Though it's there, of course, it doesn't seem to bother dd or ds in context, without too much scary music.

I totally own the fact that our movie watching (twice a week in deep winter? Almost never in summer) is a tool I use to meet my own needs as a parent at home with young children. Sometimes that half hour or hour is just so valuable. But it's also important to me that the kids are able to develop their own sensibility around media, and to that end I think some exposure to "the good stuff" is helpful. Can't wait till they are older and we can watch all those good old b&w movies together! 

Pregnant and/or breastfeeding since May, 2004, with dd6, ds4, and dd born 9/11.
We homeschool.gif.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:04 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

We have a 3.5 and 1.5 and we don't have any media yet. DS is wonderfully creative with play and we don't want to ruin it. In addition to being tvfree, we don't do any licensed characters/battery toys . I think we'll probably wait closer to 5.

Heh, I understand crazy life with kids and the need for a break, but I don't think tv is healthy for young kids so we choose different ones. And although DS loves to play with us, he plays really well on his own because his attention span is so long. To quote DH: if the APA recommends we wait until 3 doesn't that meet we should wait until 8?

When we do do media, it will probably be old school Sesame Street or maybe Little Bear.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:06 AM

We have DVDs of some our favorite shows from before we went TV-free.   Kipper, Little Bear, Caillou, Pingu.   We have a collection of Scholastic videos and Totoro.   Totoro is by far my kids' (age 6 and 4) favorite.  

We also rent DVDs - various other Miyazaki (sp?) films, classics/oldies (they are so much tamer), others like Charlotte's Web, Pippi, etc.   I have been a little surprised by some of the content, but ti doesn't phase the kids and we talk about the problems presented.   Like in Dumbo or Rudolph where someone is ostracized, or in Pippi where she's doing a lot on her own.   They LOVE Shawn the Sheep and laugh and laugh when they watch any of those.    

Old 02-16-2011, 11:13 AM

we've added shaun the sheep, wallace and gromit, and old Dr. Seuss cartoons to our list now that ds is a bit older.  We've been doing a lot of work on our house lately, and I feel bad about his increased screen time.  He's been getting 30-45 minutes, 3 or 4x a week lately, which is a huge increase considering before his birthday he got virtually none.   

Claire, mommy to Robbie (8/23/08) and Brena (4-22-11) and wifey to Joe

Old 02-17-2011, 04:26 PM

Hello,

I was one of those pushing very hard to get this subforum set up... and I have been away for a long time, ironically after finally having a child. :) Busy busy busy.

Very nice to see this here.

I started wondering if I had officially fallen off of the TV-Free wagon, alas, I will give up on monikers. :)

So: we don't have cable. I do watch over-the-air news (for my work) on rabbit ears at night after DD has gone to bed.

However: we have a TV and video players.

She doesn't watch traditional TV, but she does watch "a show" about once every other day.  She did not watch anything at all until she was 19 months.

I have decided to use it as a tool for the most part.

This is what we have for HER to watch, often on her own while we make dinner - we also have lots of grown-up films:

On DVD:

- Story Book International set (highly recommend this!!)

- Faerie Tale Theatre set

- The Story Teller set (Jim Henson)

- Sesame Street Old School Volume 2

- Sesame Street Anniversary special (with Bill Cosby)

- Peter Pan - Live action

- Star Trek sets (OS, STNG, DS9 & ENT  - with some episode exceptions)

- Care Bears set - 1980s

- Planet Earth set (Nature, Amazing, stunning)

- Little House on the Prairie (2 seasons)

- Various DVDs from the Library: Ballets, plays, operas, etc.

- I would like to eventually get: The Black Stallion, Mr. Dress-up, and Mr. Rogers.

On VHS:

- Amost every classic Disney animation:

- Snow White, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Pinocchio, Winnie the Pooh, etc.

(DH always sits with her through these ones, always explaining, and, actually she gets a LOT out of them: "why did he do that, where is that going, etc" plus, I find the art in most of these to be really impressive.)

- She does have a couple of the computer animated Disney shows: Monsters Inc and Toy Story.... but we try limit those because I find the scene changes too fast and the animation to be really... unnatural? Hard to describe it.  I have also hidden the more modern ones like Disney's Hercules and Tarzan because I find the changes really jarring and the dialogue really....smarmy.

I am pretty okay with this, since she is limited to about an hour a day, or every other day, and the ones that I have bolded are just excellent.

For those who are looking for really great stories told at a nice pace, I cannot recommend "Story Book International" enough. All live action, all narration, and wonderful.

Trin.

Old 03-21-2011, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

DS (21 months) does watch a few DVD's a few times a week.  We have found a few like Linnea in Monet's Garden and Alone in the Wilderness also Signing Time.  I tend to stay away from the busy stuff and I am not a fan of any Disney at all.  He has also dug watchin Napoleon Dynamite as well ... half hour at a time. 

We also focus on watching concerts on DVD.  Loves watching musicians play while playing his own instruments. 

'09   
Old 05-21-2011, 07:43 PM
Banned

we were gifted wallace and grommit and how to train your dragon (which i feel is a bit mature for the 2.5 yr old but didn't know it until after he saw it), and Finding Nemo. he watches it with us (on the computer) so he can ask questions and feel safe. And it's really funny because when he gets excited, he goes "Thor Almighty!" with no real connection to the meaning, but we are ok with that.

he watches one of these three movies about once a month -- usually when his father and I need him to sit still for our sanity OR when he's sick and won't rest (colds) so I can ply him with tea. Usually W/G or HtTYD. 

he mostly runs around and plays, though. 

Old 07-05-2011, 06:34 AM

I let DS watch Kipper on streaming Netflix. It is verrrry gentle and calm and the dogs' British accents make me happy. I used to occasionally let him watch Sesame Street, but it's so freaking frenetic and hyper these days.

My older daughter watches Life of Birds and Wallace and Gromit.

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

Old 07-11-2011, 09:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I second Kipper and I also let him watch "Thomas", but only the older ones which are basically like book on video.

He's watched other popular kids shows maybe four or five times this year, but only because he was at a friends house. Afterwards, he was bouncing off the walls and wouldn't stop talking about the shows.

Wife to - Mama to DS 6/08 and DS 9/11
Old 11-27-2011, 08:07 PM

Our DD gets to watch a 15-20 min. episode off of a DVD every few nights. We get them from the library - we don't have cable. DH and I sit with her while she watches and comment/ask questions about what she sees.

So far she has seen: Curious George (DH and I love these - they are so cute! And DD already "knows" George from her books)

The Mickey Mouse Clubhouse (she was also familiar with the characters on this from books that my mom gave her)

The Cat in the Hat Knows a Lot About That

Spot (the little puppy from the board books)

The Poky Little Puppy and Friends (again, book characters)

We also have a pretty big collection of classic Disney movies (plus a few others like the Nightmare Before Christmas, Monsters Inc, Shrek, Kung Fu Panda, etc), but she's not going to be allowed to watch those for a long time. But we wanted to get the Disney ones while they are "out of the vault" as they release them, so that she will have them when she is old enough to watch them.

She was with me when we purchased the Lion King (I LOVED that movie as a kid!), and she got to hold the DVD case and kept saying "movie about Lions!" But she took it just fine when I told her that we are saving it for when she is "a bigger kid".

Happy housewife dishes.gif and SAHM to a beautiful 3 year old DD luxlove.gif and a July 2012 DS! babyf.gifMarried to my best friend since 9/5/07 partners.gif

I love to  sewmachine.gif, photosmile2.gif, and reading.gif.  We cd.gif and goorganic.jpg whenever possible.

Old 04-14-2012, 12:21 AM

DS didn't watch any tv or movies until he as 5.  He's 6 now and he watches one or sometimes two movies/shows a week (on the weekend).  Below are the things we've watched.

Miyazaki films (Totoro (excellent!!!), Ponyo, Kiki's Delivery Service) - these are all great and really fabulous messages for children.

The only Disney we've done are the original Winnie-the-Pooh, the Aristocats (DS loved this), and Finding Nemo.  Oh, and Wall-E, which DS loved! 

Wallace and Grommit and Shaun the Sheep!!!    Especially Season One of Shaun the Sheep.  SO good

You're a Good Sport Charlie Brown, and Charlie Brown Christmas and Halloween Specials

The Wind in the Willows (claymation BBC/A&E production).

Sound of Music (DS got a little bored with this --  "why are they always singing about everything?"  lol)

Hoppity Goes to Town - a really excellent animated film from the 40s.  I was able to find it on amazon

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory  (the original.  watched it after reading the book)

National Velvet  (the original with Elizabeth Taylor) - DS REALLY liked this, but I found i had to translate a lot of it because of the accents and also because some of the dialogue in these older films can be hard to hear/understand.

Attachment-Parenting mom to darling DS : (January 2006). : : : : :

User Tag List