Planning on going TV-Free parttime.. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-02-2010, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So we use to be mostly TV-free before children(just did movies) at times. TV snuck back in when DS was about 9 months and my sister came to visit but after she left we didn't keep the cable, we just had limited basic (which shows nothing) until Oct. 2008, when the cable guy left us with basic cable instead of limited basic and that was it. I just love some shows..I am more of a real life show type of person(Untold stories of the ER, Mystery Diagnosis, Fatal Attractions, Biggest Loser, Hell's Kitchen, ect...). I also work Parttime from home and at night the TV kept me up so I don't get bored while working. It also helped at times so I can work in the daytime when work was pressing.

Anyways sometimes DS has recently(in the last 1-2 months) learn about Dora, Diego, Oso, and Mickey Mouse club, I kind of like them because they are interactive and he doesn't just stare he answers the questions, dances with them ect.. But I see he is getting to addicted and if I let him can sit for a while and watch it. I need to find more activities to do. I just feel overwhelmed at times. I like to have a clean house before I can really even think about doing things.

Wow..I wrote so much...anyways I am thinking to put the TV away from Sunday nights to Thursday night(it will come out when he is sleeping). It is a step for us all. I guess I can watch movies on the Laptop when he sleeps at night to keep me up as I do my work.

Not sure y I wrote all of this, guess I just want some support and ideas..I don't know anybody who does these types of things. Everybody already looks at me as though I am so 'strict' because I don't let DS get junk food on a normal basics and when he does get it, I gave it in very small portions.

Thanks for reading if you got this far....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 04-05-2010, 04:00 PM

I believe kids should be watching a heck of a lot less TV than most do (that's why I browse this forum, looking for alternatives). I tried completely TV free for the kids a while ago and it just didn't work for us. There comes a time of day around 4:30 pm when the kids are cranky and start fighting with each other, I want to tidy and get supper ready and TV is a great distraction. It helps the kids wind down from their busy day of playing. It helps me do my chores in peace. The kids are used to the routine, they know that they can't watch any TV until just before dinner. No TV after dinner. They watch a mix of educational stuff (like Super Why, Magic School Bus) and some stuff that just pure entertainment. It works out to about 6-7 hours a week (including our Saturday night family movie night where we all watch together). It's a big improvement on the 32 hours a week that I often see used as the average that most kids watch.
#3 of 3 Old 04-05-2010, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjam View Post
I believe kids should be watching a heck of a lot less TV than most do (that's why I browse this forum, looking for alternatives). I tried completely TV free for the kids a while ago and it just didn't work for us. There comes a time of day around 4:30 pm when the kids are cranky and start fighting with each other, I want to tidy and get supper ready and TV is a great distraction. It helps the kids wind down from their busy day of playing. It helps me do my chores in peace. The kids are used to the routine, they know that they can't watch any TV until just before dinner. No TV after dinner. They watch a mix of educational stuff (like Super Why, Magic School Bus) and some stuff that just pure entertainment. It works out to about 6-7 hours a week (including our Saturday night family movie night where we all watch together). It's a big improvement on the 32 hours a week that I often see used as the average that most kids watch.
I agree..I think adults need alot less too. I just need the TV visibly gone because if it is there I will be tempted to turn it on. It is getting but away tonight in a closet until Thursday night..It is too heavy for me to lift so I can't even bring it out...

Kindof OT..we was offered an even bigger TV(like twice our size or bigger and heavier) last night for free. I know alot of people would have taken it but all I was thinking was I would rather a light TV so I can only bring it out when the kids are sleeping and I am up at night working...

I am definitly thinking of ideas..we will see how this week goes..At least DS is in a PT preschool (Tues & Thursdays 9-12) so that makes it easier.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page