Going TV-Free - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-19-2010, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH & I have talked about needing to cut back or cut out entirely DS's TV watching for a long time.. It got really bad while I was sick this fall/winter and just did not have the energy to keep up with him/ play with him constantly.. (we both agree he needs a sibling.. but that may take time.. )

But I finally decided we really needed to do something last week when DS finally was able to reach the wall switch to turn the TV on & off (power strip TV is plugged into that is hung high on the wall.. previously out of his reach).. So I spent the weekend planning activities he & I can do together, prepping some of the activities that needed prepping (though not as many as I would like due to a massive migraine..) and we officially unplugged the TV!! (not realizing this was Turn off Your TV Week!)

Wish us luck!!

Kym
#2 of 5 Old 04-19-2010, 09:08 PM

Oh yeah! Good luck! After a while your DS should be able to start entertaining himself. The best creative and imaginative play comes from boredom. So don't feel like you are going to have to do this for him forever.

You can do it! Keep it up!
#3 of 5 Old 04-19-2010, 10:18 PM

That's awesome! Good luck!

B.
Mama to : July '06
#4 of 5 Old 04-23-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaCrystal View Post
Oh yeah! Good luck! After a while your DS should be able to start entertaining himself. The best creative and imaginative play comes from boredom. So don't feel like you are going to have to do this for him forever.

You can do it! Keep it up!
Agreed!

Kathleen SAHM to Jade 10/14/03, Aiden 2/2/06, and Hunter 5/14/09 Wife to Rob 3/28/03
I'm new to: treehugger.gif sewmachine.gif  chicken3.gif
#5 of 5 Old 04-23-2010, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

We're on day 5 on DS being TV free (I qualify DS because I watched some one night after he went to bed & DH has watched some after we went to bed, too..lol) but DS hasn't watched a second of TV since Sunday!! We've told him the TV isn't working.. which isn't a lie.. since it is not plugged in when he is awake, it isn't working.. He has asked for it some, but ironically not as much as he tended to on the days when we did allow it.. when he would ask for show after show..

We've been enjoying mostly beautiful weather by spending a lot of time outside.. we've read a ton of books.. he's even "read" to himself while I hung laundry... We've only done three of the many activities I had planned for us..but that is ok... those were mostly busy work type things, and we have been finding our own things to keep us busy!

Nearly gave in and let him watch TV two days ago when he had a tummy bug, but luckily it was short lived... only half the day or so, and we spent that time cuddling and reading... and then when I wasn't feeling too well, DH let me nap and played with DS..

Got to go...DS wants me to go play with him again..

Kym

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page