my friend suggested plopping ds in front of tv - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-20-2010, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
the only tv that ds (2.5) has ever been allowed to watch was a johnny cash concert dvd because johnny cash music is his FAVORITE right now and we knew he would love it (which he did). all of our close friends & family know that we don't allow ds to watch tv and how important it is to our values. i was talking to my dad's ex-wife (who i kept a friendship with) about how tough it is having only one income so i can be a SAHM. she knows that i have casually sold stuff on ebay here & there when i've had time and she just said "well, you might just have to plop ds in front of the tv so you can do some ebay". i will never just "plop" my kid in front of the tv like it's a babysitter. i was SOOOO offended, to me that's like feeding him doritos & mountain dew. it just goes against so much that we stand for. the thing that irks me the most is the fact that she just acted all irritated when i got offended by her comment as if i'm the one being ridiculous, she just doesn't get it. sometimes i feel like no one around me gets it except dh & myself. just needed to blow off some steam.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 04-22-2010, 12:22 AM

I completely agree with you. It is rough to be a SAHM and live on one income and have an anti-tv value for our children. My baby is only 5 months, so it's not hard yet.
My brother asked me once what shows I was going to allow for my baby to watch and I said, "well, we don't have a tv, so hopefully none." and he laughed and said it's too hard to keep kids away from the tv. I just listened. It's hard to argue with him when my baby isn't old enough yet.

Maybe you might have come off too irritated with her (completely understandable), but maybe that's why she was offended. Sometimes all we can do is laugh and let people stick to their own opinions until they can see different.
#3 of 3 Old 04-22-2010, 01:42 PM

I found that it was harder around 2 then it is now that he is 3. At this point everyone has kinda of accepted that how we do it in our house. They no longer question why DS doesn't watch TV. I am sure we will go through a question period again as he gets older but right now its actually pretty easy.

I know its hard standing up for what you believe is in your child's best interest but the older they get the more you see the benefits.

Fun loving crunchy mommy to an amazing outgoing adventurous boy named Logan Cloud 2/2/07 and our little ball of energy Jayden Edge 11/28/10 and wife to Jet 7/3/05 expecting our third 09/21/14

}

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page