No TV, so what can my miserable almost 4 year old do while he's sick - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-14-2010, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When I was a kid, if you were sick it was the one time we were allowed to have TV in our room.

My almost 4 year old is miserable with a fever today. He is doing nothing but lay around on the couch. He asked me to find him something he could do. I tried getting out an I Spy book (a new one he hasn't seen before), or coloring or activity books, but he doesn't want any of that. What do you do for your TV-free child when they are too sick to do anything?

wife to treehugger.gif, mama to carrot.gif(7/06) and joy.gif(4/09), plusdog2.gif

#2 of 5 Old 06-14-2010, 05:33 PM

books on tape/cd.

i hope he feels better sooon.

Mama to E (12/07) and M (01/11). homebirth.jpg
#3 of 5 Old 06-15-2010, 01:15 AM

it's so sad when little guys are sick.

I usually read to them until I'm hoarse. Play a little chutes and ladders. Put soft music on while they snuggle and I read something to myself. Make a snack. Get out a joke book or find kid jokes online. Make a paper heart chain. Or cut up construction paper into strips,tape it into circles and make a chain.

Or sometimes, if they are really in need of a distraction I'll rig up my laptop and put a little bob the builder orcare bears on hulu. It's not a catastrophe.

I'm pretty hard core on the no tv/limited screen time but when kids they come before my ideas.

But low key cuddle time is comforting too. Sometimes they like that better.

Hope he'sbetter soon.

Happy mom to DS2000, DS2002, DD2004, DS2006 and DS 10/2009:
#4 of 5 Old 06-15-2010, 01:27 AM

I have been known to bust out some tv when my daughter is really sick.

But otherwise she loves to lay in bed together and just talk about anything. Sometimes she's up to easy art projects like coloring together. Or I read to her until I can't stand it anymore. She also likes to look through books even though she can't read yet.

She's not big on books on tape, but I loved them when I was sick as a kid.

The bonus to no tv when sick is that she gets more bored and will sleep more, which means getting better sooner.

Hope he feels better soon.

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#5 of 5 Old 06-21-2010, 06:29 AM

yup me too. I have actually let my son watch a few clips on you tube when he is sick and I am pretty hardcore about no TV too. Not hours on end or anything but a few clips here and there. I have also had a lot of luck with books on tapes too when he is sick.

Fun loving crunchy mommy to an amazing outgoing adventurous boy named Logan Cloud 2/2/07 and our little ball of energy Jayden Edge 11/28/10 and wife to Jet 7/3/05 expecting our third 09/21/14

}

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page