Screen image vs. sound - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-11-2010, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For music videos on the computer, is the sound/music just as harmful as the video screen pictures for a baby? I have heard that the constant, all-day-long noise of the TV is not good. But what if it is just the music (i.e., no video screen) -- not everyday, but on the days that it is on, it can be for long stretches of a time. DS gets exposed to it when he wanders into the room which he does because he wants to enter and see daddy. Not always, but sometimes it can be rock music, - it is in a foreign language and I don't understand the lyrics, but DH already knows to make sure it is not bad language. (But to my ears, it is noise/yelling and I'd prefer not to have the music videos on.)

When I shut the computer lid closed, DH asked me, is it the screen image or the sound that is bad. Or both. I was tempted to say both just so he'd stop the music videos, but it is his way of relaxing, and I don't want to deprive DH of his stress reducing activity if unnecessary.

Thanks for any input!
#2 of 4 Old 07-11-2010, 11:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
No sure what you are asking but this is what I would say...

I think that it is the screen more then the sound. Some baby/children get sucked into the "screen" and don't know how to get on without it. As they get older it becomes "Mom can I watch TV....." NOT getting up and playing or looking at a book or listening to some music.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that for me it is the screen. We listen to autobooks while we go about our day. You can't sit down and watch something and do other things.

Hope I answered your question.
#3 of 4 Old 07-19-2010, 01:22 PM

Hmm, I think it is the combination that is realy bad, but constant music in the background isn't good, either.

I think the screen is bad because they will just watch it rather than doing something else. (Apparently, complex neural connections are being made when a child merely plays with his own fingers, but watching TV? Not much activity in the brain there...)

But I also read someplace that it is theorized that constant background noise can disrupt a young child's inner thought process, which is what they use to problem solve.

HTH.

-Me(31), DH(32), DD(10/21/08!), LO (going for another all natural MW assisted birth ~4/30/11)
Living SustainablyNursing toddler SAHD does it all but BF! EC'd DD PT at 18 mos.!
#4 of 4 Old 07-25-2010, 04:35 PM

I don't really see harm in having music on a lot. We have almost constant music going. Sometimes it's harsh music(yes, yelling and such) and sometimes it's light ambient music, sometimes it's classical, it varies. We also listen to a lot of NPR, but that's mostly in the car.

I don't see harm in it. I grew up with music going almost constantly, and I'm really grateful for that. I wish it had been better music(lol) but that's all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page