TV free & workout DVDs - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-12-2010, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have a TV in our home, but it is hidden away in the 3rd bedroom, and DH and I watch movies and such after DD's bedtime on occasion. DD is 20 months old and has never watched TV, except on a few occasions that it was on somewhere we were visiting (restaurant, store, friend of friend's house) where we weren't comfortable asking whomever was in charge to turn it off for our sake...

I used to be an avid exerciser and have an extensive collection of workout DVDs that have been gathering dust since after I found out I was pregnant. I'd like to start working out with them again, but I wonder if having this type of thing on while DD is around will negatively affect her like watching TV would. What do you think?

-Me(31), DH(32), DD(10/21/08!), LO (going for another all natural MW assisted birth ~4/30/11)
Living SustainablyNursing toddler SAHD does it all but BF! EC'd DD PT at 18 mos.!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2010, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Frankly I doubt she'd pay that much attention to them and they probably won't even be on more than 40 minutes a day. I don't think it would be that bad. However you could also minimize total exposure by only doing them 3 times a week while she's awake and doing the videos on the weekends when your dh could take the baby to the park or in the evenings after she's sleeping. Honestly it probably is "best" not to have any tv but you have to balance that with your need to exercise. I would just try to exercise as much as possible when she's sleeping or dh can entertain/distract her and do the occasional video while she's awake when that's your only alternative.

Jennifer, mama to darling dancing Juliette, and sweet baby Jameson
Old 07-19-2010, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. I agree that absolutely none is best, so I'm just going to work my workouts around her schedule. It just seems weird to exercise so late in the evening, but I'll get over it. (There is no hope to get it done early in the morning!)

-Me(31), DH(32), DD(10/21/08!), LO (going for another all natural MW assisted birth ~4/30/11)
Living SustainablyNursing toddler SAHD does it all but BF! EC'd DD PT at 18 mos.!
Old 09-25-2010, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I think that there is potential here to use the TV-free time to seek out alternative ways to get the exercise, just as we want our kids to find alternatives for entertaining themselves, preferably involving exercise (and preferably outside). Is there potential to do the same yourself? Perhaps the DVDs can come back into use when dd is older if you are comfortable with some about of screen exposure then?

no longer  or  or ... dd is going on 12 (!) how was I to know there was a homeschool going on?

User Tag List