Fun little thing about screen-free - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-14-2010, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
One great thing about being screen free is that when your children do watch a movie, they really enjoy it. It is the treat it is supposed to be.

My children watched the old old (dubbed in English from the Swedish original) Pippi Longstocking. We had so much fun. It was really a hoot.

I know that if my two older DSs had been raised on a steady Disney (or worse) diet they would not be able to enjoy a great movie like Pippi Longstocking. We watched Pollyanna and Heidi and Swiss Family Robinson this winter and it was the same fun treat.

Just thought I'd share something...

Happy mom to DS2000, DS2002, DD2004, DS2006 and DS 10/2009:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziek View Post
I know that if my two older DSs had been raised on a steady Disney (or worse) diet they would not be able to enjoy a great movie like Pippi Longstocking. We watched Pollyanna and Heidi and Swiss Family Robinson this winter and it was the same fun treat.
My oldest two were raised with loads of Disney (and worse...much worse ) and plenty of screen time, my third was about half and half, and there was always something classic and awesome that they loved about the old classic movies like Pippi, Pollyanna, Heidi, Swiss Family, etc. We've been TV free for about 2 years, and they're still favorites around here.

I just wanted to gently point out that while TV free is our choice, and your choice, it isn't necessarily a superior choice yielding children who would otherwise be incapable of enjoying those (or other) movies

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)
Old 07-14-2010, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Oops. I didn't mean to come across as sanctimonious. It was just so cute to see my sportsy-serious-starting-to-care-about-being-cool 10 yo DS laughing and laughing at Pippi Longstocking, and tearing up at Heidi.
b

Happy mom to DS2000, DS2002, DD2004, DS2006 and DS 10/2009:

User Tag List