How to convince sports-fan DH to ditch the TV? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-06-2010, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone! I really love the idea of going TV-free. We have done it in the past for mostly financial reasons. Now I'd like to do it for the sake of doing MORE IMPORTANT THINGS, like, IDK, quality time with family?!

DH isn't fully on board. He likes the idea of not having to pay a cable bill, but he's a hardcore football fan and loves to play video games (mostly sports, some action/shooters). He says if it weren't for football season he'd cut it off now.

Do you think I could suggest that he watch the games at a sports bar/restaurant once a week? Heck, even if he got beer and some wings it would cost him less than cable does every month, and it would give him a chance to have some "man time" once in awhile without it disrupting the household with lots of noise (he is one of those guys that screams/cusses at the referees during games)!

Maybe for video games I can suggest he only play them after we (or at least DD) are in bed? He usually stays up a couple hours later than we do b/c he works late.

-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2010, 01:13 PM

Subbing. I'm wondering about this too. DH feels like he can only bond by playing computer and video games together. And while we only watch shows on the computer and don't have cable, we still spend a lot more time in there than doing much else.

Married to my loving DH superhero.gif, becoming more and more "crunchy" with age. 
Old 10-23-2010, 02:36 PM

I would totally suggest going to the bar/resturant- sounds like a good deal to me. My DH would love that but we don't have a place near us for him to catch the games at. Instead he watche them on the computer- I believe he streams them live. Occainally he might see one at a friends or if the relatives are visiting at the hotel. My DH watches Celtics but I'm pretty sure football is online too. But really who doesn't like the excuse to go out?!
Old 10-31-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *farmergirl* View Post
I would totally suggest going to the bar/resturant- sounds like a good deal to me. My DH would love that but we don't have a place near us for him to catch the games at. Instead he watche them on the computer- I believe he streams them live. Occainally he might see one at a friends or if the relatives are visiting at the hotel. My DH watches Celtics but I'm pretty sure football is online too. But really who doesn't like the excuse to go out?!
do you know where online your dh watches nba games? we're tv free, but basketball season just started and dh is really missing it. have been looking for a place he can watch them online, but can't find anything good. i wouldn't even mind something with an annual fee (anything's cheaper than what we used to pay for satellite).

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

Old 10-31-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Do you think I could suggest that he watch the games at a sports bar/restaurant once a week?
Would it really be limited to once a week though? If it ends up being more than once a week sending him out of the house isn't going to get family time, much less the quality family time. At least at home you're together in the house, yk.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:09 AM

samstress- atdhe.net my dh's go to site for basketball games. it's free too sorry it took me so long to reply but I've been trying to really limit my screen time so I haven't been on in a while.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:41 AM

I'm TV free and I do baseball and hockey on the radio. Love it!

lady.gif
Old 11-07-2010, 01:14 AM

I would suggest he start trying radio. I actually prefer listening to baseball games on the radio because the announcers are SO much better and provide a lot of informaiton you don't hear on TV. And for big games that he must see, a local bar. I think he would find that after a bit he would be fine with that. Most likely over time he would end up wanting to watch less of it. Just following the games/teams he really likes.

Attachment-Parenting mom to darling DS : (January 2006). : : : : :
Old 11-07-2010, 01:17 AM

We turn the cable on for baseball season, and then cancel it afterward -- this is the second year we've done it. It's a compromise that works for us.

Is it just football season, or does your DH follow multiple sports (I can see how it wouldn't work if you were talking football and basketball, etc.)

reading.gif, mama to Amelie (May 2010), early loss (October 2011), and James (September 2012) vbac.gif

Old 11-07-2010, 02:29 PM

I have this problem also. my husband and son are huge sports fans. I have directv and spend way to much money. plus my son bought an hd tv which costs more through directv for the hd service.I think it's ridulous how much money including myself people pay for tv, especially now with the way the economy is.I wish there was something I could do, we just cannot afford it anymore.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Well, asking guys to stop watching TV, the way they like isn't very fair.  Or telling them they need to try going out and watching the games.  Eventually, during the finals or whatever you won't see them for a few weeks.  Seriously. 

My guy generally does little of his own thing if I really think about it and we manage to go cable free and pick up all the local channels for free.  He is able to watch most of the games he wants to watch that way and the rest online.  And we watch as a family.  I just put my feet on his lap and get a foot rub... works for me! 

I think the Radio can be just as bad due to all the advertisements.  All forms of media are difficult for me to like, but the sports thing... thats like me having to read a book on a kindle... NO CAN DO!  I need the smell of the book and the feel of the pages. 

User Tag List