DD (2) is asking for cartoons - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 10-06-2010, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We've been tv free since before we got married. We do have Netflix (the cheapest 2 movies per month/no internet viewing plan), but we maybe watch a movie as a family once a month and I'll watch a movie during Ladybug's naps sometimes. When I've been very tired (I have chronic fatigue), I've let Ladybug watch a cartoon: this has happened maybe 3 or 4 times in her entire life, but the cartoons have always been in Russian so they are not your standard "Saturday morning" fare.

But, Ladybug stays with my mother three mornings a week and starting from age 1 (I convinced my mother to hold off until then) always watches a cartoon with her cousins while she's there. Sometimes they are Russian cartoons (well, old Soviet) which I'm fine with since that helps her language skills, but more and more often for some odd reason my mom turns on Disney type stuff. And lately, she's been asking me to show her cartoons on the computer.

That's not the problem: I always say 'no' and I distract her with something else. My concern now is that her life is so different from her cousins and that as time goes on she'll be thinking that she's missing out on things and end up nagging more and more for things that are not within our values. For example, her cousins are in your typical academic preschool, she'll be homeschooled; they play with electronic toys, we don't have them at all; they get "name brand" and "character" items, we don't even allow her to have anything that says "princess" on it, let alone Dora, Cinderella or whatever, etc etc etc.

DH's response is "too bad," we're the parents and she'll learn that there are differences between our household and my sister's. But, I was very rebellious as a kid and I rather feel that the reason I am so strict about all the "no's" in our household is partly a response to the hedonistic materialism & consumerism that I grew up with. I'd hate for our kids to grow up and rebel against us because they were jealous of the 'normal' tv filled life their cousins had.

How do you deal with this? It won't be possible for us to move further away from my family and for me to quit my job that requires my mother watching Ladybug for at least a couple of years if not longer.
#2 of 2 Old 10-07-2010, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our girls are a little older, and so far it's okay. I worry about the same things you do, but at 5 and 6 there are still no real issues.

We have some character toys, not much, but some have come into the house as gifts, and we do have wooden Thomas trains (which I'm fine with). The simple and quality toys are what our kids play with the most. It's what other kids go for too when they come to our house.

Our kids love electronic toys when they see them in stores or at other houses. The thing is though, they don't play with them for long. The novelty wears off quickly.

I feel that if we build a strong foundation our kids will be sufficiently resistant to outside forces. They have enough other things to do, stuff they like to do and enjoy, that they don't beg for DVDs all day long. They get some, but not a lot and I don't think they fell denied.

You can also connect with other families with values like yours. You DD can get to know other homeschoolers, and other families who share your values in terms of toys and tv. Your DD doesn't need to feel that her cousins are normal and she is weird, you can show her that different families are just different.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page