just killed the cable TV - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-06-2011, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We get two network stations, PBS and of course, things on the internet.  It's been a week, and I'd say our TV watching has been greatly reduced.

I'm not anti TV in general - I don't think it is evil - so much as it is time that is better spent doing other things.

I'm also saving $100/mo by not having cable - bringing me that much closer to being able to SAH.

Wish us luck!

#2 of 6 Old 01-06-2011, 10:01 AM

its really quite easy.  we purchased an appletv, so we can stream netflix and then purchase those shows that we want to see asap.  We are saving $95/month, and even if i purchased shows as soon as they are available (rather than waiting until they are on netflix), there is no way i would purchase nearly $95 worth!

you can also stream tv shows via hulu.com ....thats been great for us.

i also do buy seasons via appletv for the kids.  they watch shows over and over again, which is perfect for them.  a season typically costs $12-15.  i dont mind the occassional season for them, since they do watch it and again, i am still saving scads of money!  i also love the fact that everything is commercial free for them...and i have more control over what they watch.

also nice thing about the appletv is that when i am playing my owned music through it, the tv will display our photos randomly as a slideshow.  i never ever before realized how many pictures we just never get a chance to see.  we have about 10,000 images since the kids were born...this way, their memories are reinforced, and yet, they never get stale.  kids LOVE watching their pictures.

off of soapbox.   its great to be rid of programming though.  if i want to watch it bad enough, i will buy it.  if its on netflix or hulu, i'll stream it.  we always got our news off of the computer anyway, so the only thing lacking was live sports.  DH found a website that is able to get most any game, and redzone is free on the computer.  he doesnt need a big screen for sports as he always watches sports while working in his office anyway.  and if he did want to go watch a big game, dropping $50 at a local sports bar is no big deal when you are saving $100/month!

think you'll be glad you did it. 

DD5, DS3...Montessori since 8/2010
Bradenton, Florida
#3 of 6 Old 01-06-2011, 10:02 AM

Well, good luck and congratulations! I am with you.

I killed the cable a few years back and never missed it. Instead, subscribed to Netflix - it's around $20 bucks/mo to keep 3 dvd's at the same time, great selection too whenever you feel like watching a movie.

#4 of 6 Old 01-06-2011, 10:03 AM

Things on the internet can fill  in more tv watching than cable. lol.gif

But it's stuff you actually want instead of what happens to be on, and knowing it'll be there whenever really takes away the urgency to see it Right Now.

(If you just want control over your watching instead of phasing out screentime entirely, check out www.hulu.com But if you eventually want no television at all, avoid that site.)

#5 of 6 Old 01-07-2011, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

I'm not trying to go totally TV free - just be more conscious of it and get away from commercials.  I want watching it to be an occasion, an activity, rather than a default, if that makes any sense.  

Thanks for the other suggestions.  We do have Netflix but I could use the Hulu thing better / more.

#6 of 6 Old 01-08-2011, 09:35 AM

makes perfect sense.  if the kids ask for it, thats ok.  they simply dont ask much now, because there is no "surfing" available.

that being said, we put our tv on a wall mount, and now its the not the center of the room....i think this helped things.....minimize its influence and "default" attraction. afterall, it WAS taking as much floor space up as a loveseat!  hard to ignore it in this case!

DD5, DS3...Montessori since 8/2010
Bradenton, Florida

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page