partly TV-free? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-16-2011, 04:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

as a couple, DH and i have never desired to be TV free. DH loves TV! i have lived TV free, but also love features like "on demand" and netflix streaming. 

ANYWAY. DD is almost 4 and i am suspecting TV might be having an undesired effect on her. but it's never been a problem for DS. 

any input on having part of the day and evening TV free, mostly for DD? 

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#2 of 5 Old 01-18-2011, 10:55 AM

That's what I do.  I limit TV with my DD6 and DD4.  DD4 has a harder time than DD6.  DD6 could take or leave TV.  DD4 would like to watch all day every day.  It's taken some trial and error to figure out what works for us.  It was too much of a fight to allow DD4 to watch a little bit of TV everyday.  So instead, I unplugged the TV and told them it was broke.  After a few days the whining stopped.  After a few weeks, the TV was "fixed" and I started to let them watch a little.  I started out with just Sunday mornings.  Now I occassionally allow them to watch a show or two in the late afternoon while I'm cooking dinner.    It's working well for us.  I don't mind a bit of TV, in fact, I feel it sparks their imagination - one episode of Dinosaur Train and they will play dinosaurs for days afterwards.

I do suggest going cold turkey for a least a week so that your child can learn other ways to entertain herself.  I think kids that watch alot of TV sometimes forget how to play. 

#3 of 5 Old 01-18-2011, 11:23 AM

I allow my 5yr old one hour in the morning and then it stays off till 4 in the afternoon when he can watch another hour of tv.  After supper we don't really turn it on.  If it goes on, it's b/c my dh and ds are playing my Super Nintendo in the basement.

There have been days when it stays on longer in the mornings but thats rare. 

My ds will continue to bug me about it and I stay strong and keep telling him no.  I do say if he is going to bug me about it then he will lose playing Mario Bros with daddy.  He does not want that taken away. 

Lynn, wife to Jason  SAHM to Nate, Riley and Jon
#4 of 5 Old 01-18-2011, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

so far it's going well. dad was the one who had trouble yesterday! LOL. 

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#5 of 5 Old 03-10-2011, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I'm *working* on it.  I think my DS6 has forgotten how to play DD4 and DS2 play well together and do things without it more easily.

I have noticed some huge effects on DS6yrs though. 

What we have done is limited our cable package so we no longer get Nickelodeon or other kids' channels, all we have is PBS, which only shows kids' programming in the morning.  DS6 was *addicted* to Spongebob, to the point that he was doing NOTHING else but waiting for it to come back on and nagging for it.  It was truly sad.

They get 3-4 DVD's from the library every week.  Usually 3 but this week our turn for "Shrek Forever" FINALLY came up.

They actually will play in their room with whatever on in the background. 

I do NOT typically buy movies.  I have nowhere to store them right now and see no need for it.

We also kept our DVR--mostly because it makes ME a better parent by allowing me to record stuff that is on at times when I really need to focus on the kids.  ;)  I do also have a few children's shows on there that record and save just a couple episodes for them to use like On Demand.  ;)

lovin DH since 1/04, best mom for my 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page