What do you do when YOU are sick? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-16-2011, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

When dd is sick we do a couple of dvds, though really not much because when I'm feeling fine we can really just snuggle on the couch and read or play whatever.  But I was wondering what you do when you are feeling sick?  We don't have family or friends in the area and dh works, so its just me a dd most days.  I was thinking that if my mom lived in the area she could play with dd....but she doesn't live around here.  Thus far when I am sick she has watched far more dvds then I am comfortable with, more even then when she is sick because the last thing that I want to do is well anything.  Any suggestions?  Dd is 2, and while she is pretty good at independent play, she still likes to have my involvement.

Tricia
Canadian Mama to E 2yrs
Someone new coming October!
#2 of 4 Old 01-17-2011, 06:43 PM

It's a struggle when sick.  I tend to lie on the couch with some tea and have DD bring me things, and then put them back up.  I still have to read lots of books to her to keep her entertained. I am in the same boat, MIL works all day and doesn't ever have much time to help out.  Sometimes I can get her to lie in bed with me, and "read" to me.  It's more restful.  Being sick is the hardest time to be tv free.  But we don't have a choice, we don't have reception to any channels.  

mdcblog5.gif  http://annapodrisworksinprogress.blogspot.com/  
 namaste.gif  Yoga loving bohemian vegan artist mom of one girl- 10-08hearts.gif, married to my best friend,shamrocksmile.gif who is also an artist.  
#3 of 4 Old 03-08-2011, 06:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I know this is an old thread, but I just found it and wanted to comment. I stay home with an almost 3 year old DD and a 13 week old DS. This week, it finally happened - we were all sick at once. We don't watch TV, and my throat was too sore to read aloud much, and my sick DD was very demanding and bored. I discovered some websites that feature children's stories to listen to. You can download the podcast to listen in the car, just listen on the laptop, and I even had one going on my smartphone at one point. They are short stories, fairy tales, and fables, just the right length for a toddler who is not used to sitting still for very long. However, they were long enough to keep her in one place so she *actually* fell asleep for much needed naps a couple of times! We won't be listening to stories online often on "non-sick" days, but it was a real miracle for me this past week!

LiLeon likes this.
#4 of 4 Old 03-09-2011, 12:37 AM

I was sick 2 weeks ago, so I basically just stayed indoors.  To keep me occupied, I did homework and I knitted a little bit.  I also played Boggle by myself quite a bit.  I don't watch too much TV when I am sick, because staring at the TV gives me a bad headache, and makes me feel even worse.

Usually when I am sick, I try to have as many things next to my recliner or bed to keep me occupied, so I don't have to get up much.  This way, I get better faster.

Jessie

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page