I just can't seem to break the habit. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-29-2011, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was raised in a house where the TV was on basically all the time, so that's what normal for me. It got worse when I became a single mom, alone with my baby all the time and spending hours on end nursing in my glider in front of the TV. Somehow having the TV on made me feel less lonely. I never worried much about my DS and TV because he would play in the same room with the TV on and hardly ever even look at it. But now he's almost 2 and he has suddenly become obsessed. He doesn't care much about the stuff I like to watch, but he begs for his three favorite shows (pingu, shaun the sheep, and yo gabba gabba.) I hate how much he loves it, but I still take advantage of it if I'm desperate to take a shower, cook a meal, etc and he's just not being cooperative. I've even resorted to turning on his shows when he is super cranky or throwing a tantrum that just won't seem to end. It's starting to feel like I'm rewarding his uncooperative behavior with TV time. To make matters worse, we've both been sick this week and it has gotten even more out of control. 

I just don't want my son to grow up addicted to TV like I did, and I'm starting to realize that the only way to prevent that from happening is to break my TV habit. Now. Almost every night I lay in bed and think "tomorrow morning I'm going to unplug the TV and leave it that way all day." and then I get up in the morning and turn on the view while we eat breakfast. Sigh...

So what's the best way to do this. Should I try to wean myself off of TV, or just give it up cold turkey?

Single Mama to Vincent 3/30/09
#2 of 6 Old 02-01-2011, 05:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I understand not having a free mintue. My husband works more hours then I even want to think about. So I know how nice it is to get things DONE. BUT on the other hand it may be hard in the beginning but as time go by your son will learn to find things to do. You will need time for this to happen but it will.

SO why not unplug the TV before you go to bed. Then if you want to turn it on you will have to plug it in. Then count to 20 and think .......Is this what I want to do?

Can you listen to music or an audio book at breakfast? Go to the library see what you like.

I hope that helps.

#3 of 6 Old 02-01-2011, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

Well I'm happy to say that since I posted this I have not turned the TV on once. It's been two full TV free days, and I've actually really enjoyed it! I've been more productive, spent more time playing with/reading to my DS, and just been in a better mood in general. However, we're about to get snowed in, so I have a feeling we might break down and turn it on today. 

#4 of 6 Old 02-01-2011, 08:38 AM

Hi Sam. I'm worried about the same thing, here, but I feel like my husband is the big problem. He's watching TV constantly.... Lately I've been turning it off and turning on music. But its only when he's on his computer, or at school or asleep I can turn the darn thing off! 

I don't have a goal of going TV free, just less TV. I know its totally possible as I did it when I was a nanny. On school days the girl I watched got 30min of TV if her homework was done. In the summer she got 1-2hours a day depending on the day. 1 hour in the morning and she either got a 30 min show or a movie before her nap. 

- Mom to Baby Mark (9/18/10) and 4 wonderful dogs!
#5 of 6 Old 02-01-2011, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Well my goal isn't really to be TV free, it's for Vincent to be TV free. So my plan was to watch my shows at night after he goes to bed. But the last two nights after not having the TV on all day, after he went to sleep I didn't even want to turn it on. 

#6 of 6 Old 03-25-2011, 08:33 AM

This is a topic close to my heart.  I was tv free myself for 10 years.  I noticed so many benefits for even myself and want to make this a lifestyle choice for the family.

The problem is when DS was born something seemed to switch over in my brain.  I grew up in a house that had the tv on all the time and I guess the switch to family mode by default also switched with the tv button back and I find myself wanting to watch tv when at home. I do go out as much as possible but when I am at home I find myself drawn to turning on the TV.  All of my peers here (I am trying to connect with like minded moms) have the tv on all the time or look at me like I am insane when I say I want to go TV free so I have no support from other moms when I am getting the 'Urge".

I turn the tv off but when it is on I just feel more connected to the outside world (as the SamiPolizzi put it less lonely).  I have tried music, talk radio, talking books. They all help but I still feel the urge to turn the tv on even though I know it has bad effects on kids and I know it is not something I want in my life.

Help!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page