I had no idea this forum existed!! And a question about youtube... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 02-01-2011, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Hi there!

We are a TV-free family. Actually we have a TV that is over 10 years old. We rarely use it & when we move this summer we won't be taking it with us. And I don't think we'll replace it either -- DH & I watch our shows online or via netflix on our computer & DS doesn't watch TV (save for one morning when we were madly packing for a trip & we realized it was saturday morning & DS confusedly sat in front of a cartoon for 10 minutes while we finished).

So I just wanted to say hello to the other tv-free families!

Here's my thing. About once a week or so, we'll dig around on youtube for a video or two for my son to watch (he's almost 22 months old). Thoughts?

I just get really excited to show him things that he's curious about... For instance, he'll hear a particular instrument on the radio or a CD & I will find a video of someone playing the instrument (I aim to show him just higher-quality stuff, not Jane Doe in her basement practicing ...). 

I'm just so skeptical of "kids" shows... I'd love to show him the real thing & not some cartoon. If he wants to hear a trumpet, I want to show him Miles Davis. If he wants to see a violin, I'll find a video of the London Symphony & not "baby mozart." Bicycles, a clip from the Tour de France. KWIM?

But sometimes I wonder if the kiddy material has a purpose. And if I'm doing him harm by skipping it & going to the real stuff. We really do limit it to about once per week, but even then I sometimes think we should just cut it out too.

Thanks!

Mama to my little busy bee. 

#2 of 2 Old 02-15-2011, 03:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH & DS occasionally watch youtube videos together... My 2yo now knows some weird things (like how to remove a car battery lol)... It's only a few minutes and not a daily/regular thing. We also sometimes watch (and do!) animal exercises or yoga videos... Like you, I am not comfortable with children's programming in general and would much prefer if he's going to watch something, that it be 'real' -- I see no benefit to cartoons etc. (aside from the fact that supposedly parents can get things done while their kid watches them!) and I feel they are over-marketed. I also feel that cartoons alter perception in ways that I don't think is healthy for kids. Plus they are hypnotizing (and I think that really is the 'purpose' of that kind of thing!)

I also have a tendency to play youtube videos while I'm working on the computer -- but I don't actually let him watch the video, it's just the music on in the background. There are some 'kid' songs that he likes and I think they are fun for him because they have catchy tunes & easy-to-understand words. So I'm not against ALL kiddie stuff, mainly just TV programing. I do think youtube is 'different' than TV but it can easily become just as bad so we really strive to keep it (as well as computer games etc.) to a minimum -- not every day, and not more than a few minutes (unless it's a workout video, then I feel a little longer is OK as long as he's moving not just watching!) I don't feel comfortable never ever letting him catch so much as a glimpse of a computer or TV screen (though it sounds nice, and could work in a completely TV-free society) because I feel like then it's this mysterious forbidden thing that he will ultimately become fascinated & obsessed with at friends' houses etc...

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page