So it cost more if I cancel t cable... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-26-2011, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I was really hoping to go tv free by this summer, but when I called comcast, being the enablers that they are, they told me I would loose all the double deal discounts I get for having tv and internet. It would cost me $40 more to not have cable! I now only pay $15 more a month for the most basic of cable and get about a dozen channels.

My kids watch PBS and Sprout mainly: Curious George, Cat in The Hat, Dirt Girl, Bob the Builder and Caillou for about two hours a day. I watch about the same amount of tv as they do, sometimes the news in the morning but usually a show or two at night after there asleep.

So how can I motivate myself to just not watch the cable since it's there. TV really i a weakness for me and I can't make myself just not watch it since it's here. Thanks for the encouragement!

be good family...

#2 of 5 Old 05-26-2011, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Is Comcast the only option for internet where you are?  If not, cancel comcast all together and go with the other guy.  Serves comcast right!

#3 of 5 Old 05-26-2011, 10:18 PM

We are dealing with a big Canadian provider (Shaw) and were told the same thing - we'd lose our discounts if we cancelled cable and ultimately end up paying more. I don't know if this is an option for you, but we took back the digial cable box anyway and unplugged the cable from the TV. My kids still watch some videos but I'm ok with that as they will sit and watch for 15 min at a time instead of watching new show after new show. Anything I want to watch, I get online after they are asleep (mainly the Daily Show and Glee...). For news, I listen to the radio (CBC) in the kitchen while I work.

"So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton

#4 of 5 Old 05-27-2011, 06:41 AM

Do you have room in your house to put the TV somewhere out of the way? I was really surprised how much less TV I watch when we moved it downstairs (my main puttering area is upstairs). It's still down there if I want it, but I have to stop what I'm doing and make an effort. 

#5 of 5 Old 06-01-2011, 06:21 AM

I'd second finding another internet provider, if that's an option! We have internet-only (from a company that does provide cable) and it does not cost more. It would be about $80 for cable+internet & so internet is only $20 -- but we get just internet, which costs $40 or so -- so we ARE paying more for internet but we're paying less overall. Hopefully there is a company that will do something like this where you live!!!

Otherwise... get the TV out of the main living areas... unplug the cable and just pretend you don't have it (or designate "Friday veg-out nights" or whatever if you do want to occasionally enjoy a show). If you make it hard to watch TV, you're much less likely to do it casually...

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page