Just wondering..... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-03-2011, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a 26" tv downstairs and a portable 14" tv upstairs...we never ever watch tv...i have blocked all access to it...we use the tv`s to play console games or dvds or music...my reason for not watching tv because I believe it brainwashes people...especially children...the difference between watching a tv program plus the adds etc etc, and from playing a game or watching a dvd is CHOICE....with advertisements and most tv programs you have no knowledge or choice what is being fed into your brain...with games and dvd`s you do...and yes i`m fully aware that the same thing can happen with games and dvd`s...however, the difference is, that tv and the media work hand in hand..best o buddies...if you know what suggestive, connonative, hypnotic feedback means you will understand what I believe the way I do....is there anyone who does this too? namaste.gif

#2 of 4 Old 07-14-2011, 05:51 AM

We also do not have tv reception but do have dvd's and games.

It wasn't because we felt tv brainwashes people that we made a change but I have certainly seen a change in our habits. When we had tv reception we would watch things just because they were on.  We weren't very selective at all.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#3 of 4 Old 07-16-2011, 09:03 PM

We occasionally watch dvd's on the computer. No games in our house; or I should say once in a blue moon when daddy caves in and helps them. I see games as brain candy.

There is definitely a differnece in watching television programs and ads, and watching a movie. However, I don't think one is totally choosing the input. We don't know what type of subliminal images are embedded in many video programs. We talk about what we watch and what the makers intend. We talk about how watching video programs is a passive activity and more like junk food for the brain. And I try to discuss the content of whatever we are viewing and how it pertains to our family and our philosophy and ideals.

The only time the kiddos get extra screen time is when they are stuck in bed sick. Then we tend to watch reruns of Leave it to Beaver. And even that needs moderating.

#4 of 4 Old 07-17-2011, 11:30 AM

Dh and I will watch tv here and there in the evening when the kids are in bed.  The kids on the other hand have never watched TV.  The only thing my 4 year old ever gets to watch is an occasional DVD of mighty machines.  That is maybe once a month or even every other month and when he is really sick.  No video games yet for him

Fun loving crunchy mommy to an amazing outgoing adventurous boy named Logan Cloud 2/2/07 and our little ball of energy Jayden Edge 11/28/10 and wife to Jet 7/3/05 expecting our third 09/21/14

}

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page