TV at story hour?!?! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-16-2011, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Really????

This just seems so weird to me. I was not happy about it at all. It was a two-year-old story time. I don't get it. If I wanted him to watch TV, I'd just get a video & pop it in, why would I drive him all the way to the library to do it????

And poor DS, when they said story hour was over, was all sad & saying, "But I want to read books!"

I'm a bit bitter (and I guess my anger about other things in my life right now is getting directed toward this lol).

Next time we will just walk out (and not return if they are going to be showing videos every time!) Not 'in protest' or anything, sorry to sound so dramatic -- just, I really don't want him watching shows, he's not even 3, and he seemed really upset & volatile for an hour after that short 10min video. Maybe he was overstimulated or something (he has sensory issues) or maybe I'm just projecting my own stuff onto him.

*sigh*

Just wanted to vent to people who might sort of understand. We are 99.9% TV-free... a couple times I've tried to put on cartoons when we've all been sick & twice we've put on short youtube videos so DH & I could sneak into the bedroom for a couple minutes lol but basically I guess we are TV-free and I am quite content to keep it that way. I just don't like the feeling of fighting against the tide.

And the other thing that drives me nuts is whenever DS is at the hospital or whatever they are always asking him about TV characters and offering him character stickers and books and stuff as his 'prize'... Why is there nothing more generic?? Why is it so weird that he has no clue who Thomas or Elmo is?

Haha yes I do realize this is a bit of an extreme reaction to something relatively minor...

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 09-16-2011, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Saw this in new posts. We are not t.v. free, but I would be disappointed if "storytime" at the library wasn't about books and a story teller. Was there any oral storytelling or read-aloud book time at all? If not, I wonder if the storyteller (children's librarian or whoever organizes and conducts the program) was ill or quit or couldn't be there for some other reason (budget cuts?). 

The library would probably like to know about your disappointment, if you tell them in a concerned, rather than angry or upset, manner. It's in their interests to keep their patrons happy and satisfied. 

#3 of 7 Old 09-16-2011, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

We had been to the storytime in the past (in the spring once or twice) and it was the same woman running it. She did read one book & did a simple craft (which she basically did FOR my son instead of letting him do it irked.gif but that's a whole 'nother rant). Usually she is way more creative and there are several books, not just one, and she's never shown a movie. It did occur to me that maybe she wasn't feeling great or didn't have time to prepare but really she would have said something (the kind of woman who seems to be very open!) and she seemed so excited that the kids sat through the show, there was lots of clapping & cheering afterwards. IDK, I did kind of want to say something but I didn't want to be *that mom* and I figured maybe it's just a one-time thing. Don't know why it got to me so much though.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#4 of 7 Old 09-16-2011, 04:11 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

That is absurd. On the contrary, I do think you should complain on the spot, to the librarian in charge, and right a note to the library's organizational head. Humph. I'd probably call the newspapers. I have never heard of that and I am a librarian. (not in public, or children's but that is crazy)

#5 of 7 Old 09-16-2011, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)

I would say something. That is crazy.

#6 of 7 Old 09-16-2011, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm well I am glad I'm not the only one who thought it was really strange.

#7 of 7 Old 09-16-2011, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudiAU View Post
I have never heard of that and I am a librarian. (not in public, or children's but that is crazy)

I work in a library.  I do not find it that odd.  Our programs are supposed to support literacy and highlight out collection.  DVD's are part of our collection - and books have often been made into tv shows. The number of books that go out (often drivel - but they are reading) because someone saw it on tv first is astounding.   I have done story hours, I have never included tv shows or films in story hour - but the idea does not horrify me if it is done in extreme moderation.  

You can certainly complain if you like - if others complain it very well may make a difference.

You can also ask that the facilitator tell you in advance if she plans to use the tv.  I do not know if she is capable of honouring this request (how far in advance she plans storytime) but in my case I certainly could and would give you a call to let you know storytime included tv viewing.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page