Help me make a new habit at night instead of TV - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-28-2012, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yes, there are a million wonderful active things I can do instead of TV. But I need help figuring out how to deal with being exhausted at the end of the day.

Sure, maybe I'll gain more energy over time to do more active things instead, but right now, I am feeling the need to ZONE OUT at the end of the day. How do I deal with that?

The only thing I can think of is reading, which I do a lot of already. DD and I are reading The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe right now. But what else?

I don't even feel like playing a BOARD game. Maybe I'm not looking for suggestions on WHAT to do instead as much as how to transition. I can think of things to do and even swear I'll do them tonight but when "tonight" comes I just feel like crashing.

FTR we have no TV programming, it's just movies we watch on a computer we set up for that purpose. (Not even Internet-connected, just DVDs).

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2012, 12:18 PM

I have a similar problem (aggravated by my shoe issues and the fact that walking - my preferred form of exercise - hurts my feet terribly). I'm finding that transitioning works better for me if I take it slowly. So, pick something - go for a walk, work on a hobby, whatever (I"m learning to crochet - I'm not good at it, and it's going slowly) and commit to doing it one or two nights a week. Even that will help bust up the default "turn on the tv" thing. If you go for a walk, you can make it a powered up fitness walk, or take your dd and make it a family walk. We used to go for walks with ds1 a lot...haven't done it for quite a while, though. :(

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 02-28-2012, 09:56 PM

i am the exact same way, so glad you posted.  i always say, once it gets dark out i can't do anything but rest!  (this is mega trouble in the winter when much of the day is dark...).  i remember reading a book a friend suggested, years ago, by katherine center, called everyone is beautiful.  it was a lighter read (not going to change your life) but in it a woman wants to make some changes and finds the time (and energy!) with a husband and kids to start working out at night.  i was super inspired.  i have been off the workout train lately, but i am thinking i should read it again.  :)

Old 02-29-2012, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

Lisa, you're right that "just doing it" or at least "just starting" is really all you can do.

Last night I made the effort. I read to DD from the Narnia book then played Battleship and Connect 4 with her. Might I just add that I am a tough and sneaky Connect 4 opponent and I play to WIN, but she got me twice? We also ate a LATE dinner in front of the fire.

Tonight, no movies planned again, but Thursday night is our library night and we get our movies from there.

I keep trying to say "movies only on the weekend" but Thursday night we'll have movies and we'll just feel like vegging out. And Friday, Friday is MADE for vegging out. DH and I made Friday our Holy Veg Out Night even before we had DD. Then weekends, I try to be busy and productive and then at night guess what I want to do?

Then Monday comes and supposedly no movies but it's, you know, Monday, and DD has dance class Monday night and then I want to come home and.... veg out.

Tuesday. DD has gymnastics that evening. I want to come home and ... veg out.

Wednesday is a nothing day for us. Guess what I want to do when night comes?

And on and on.

The habit has got its claws into me. My folks weren't TV free or anything but I'm hearing impaired and there wasn't closed-captioning until I was older (and even then, it usually sucked). So TV was simply not that fascinating to me. But DH grew up watching a lot so I've been exposed to the habit and now it's my habit too.

I tend to put the TV (it's an old computer, really) in the closet in the warm months, at least for a while. But while I certainly can't complain about this winter, it still does get dark early and that tends to make me feel tired at night. Also, because of my vision problems, I can't take walks at night, which would otherwise sound pretty nice to me. I mean, I have a cane and DH can help me but it would be SUPER stressful and no fun for me (crappy old town with horrible sidewalks and fire hydrants and tree roots and buckled cement and curbs in random places and overgrown hedges and low tree branches... seriously, a blind girl could get hurt and certainly wind up in a tizzy!).

So I guess I will start by making a real effort to keep it off Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday nights, even if (when!) I feel tired.

Pamela, I just bought DD a 3 pound weight that she loves. So tonight, the family will be doing some exercises together. With music. Even if I don't want to do it at first, if I get some good music on I bet we'll get into it.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

Old 03-09-2012, 02:57 PM

Our family does read books before going to sleep.  However, here is another alternative,...

For months, my husband would wind down before bed by playing Sudoku on his iPhone. He has since broken this habit.  Now he plays chess on his iPhone as a prelude to going to sleep.  (Unfortunately, it is not screen-free.)

Old 03-15-2012, 04:00 PM

This is my problem too!  We don't have the kids watch TV at all but as soon as they go to bed my husband and I just veg out for 2 hours in front of the TV.  I have tried so many things to stop - reading (which makes me fall asleep too early at night), games (which my brain is too fried for), organizing or housework and exercising do not work either because after the kids go to bed I have zero motivation.  Ugh.  I feel like if I am going to change this I am going to have to get rid of the TV altogether which my husband is not going to go for.  I hate to think of how much of my life I spend vegging out in front of the TV at night.  Would love to hear some more success stories!

Old 03-20-2012, 02:01 PM

One thing that helps me is that I commit to doing something for 10 minutes only.  I even set a timer.  After 10 minutes, I can stop if I want but usually I have some momentum going.  It helps with housework, scrapbooking, taking a walk.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:08 PM

I like that idea.  I'll try that!

Old 06-27-2012, 02:53 PM

I can read for hours!  usually I start with something well-written and harrowing about stuff that I need to know about.  Most recently "The China Price" (Alexandra Harney); before that "Allergic to the Twentieth Century", "The End of Food", "Rubbish! - the archaeology of garbage" - this stuff won't let me fall asleep.  Then to calm down, some novel.  But yes, I know what you mean about being wiped out at the end of the day.

Or, start a blog that about something that fires you up? you're sitting still but you're far from inactive!

Old 06-27-2012, 03:02 PM

We decided before we got married we wouldn't have a TV. We do have a large pc monitor and watch dvds sometimes. If we have something, we watch it, if not, we do other things. No LOs yet, that's going to be a little different I'm sure. But we listen to Adventures in Odyssey a lot, talk, sometimes play games - esp with his teen sisters, we garden together, take a walk, visit his folks, sit out in the yard and talk or work with the dogs.....

I know when we were kids, we had a TV but it was really limited in use. Esp since we only had 3 or 4 channels. :) We used to work in the garden with my parents, go for walks, go swimming in the river, go fishing, visit his elderly aunts and uncles, just go for a drive, and we kids LOVED to just go play in the yard.

Frequent Auto Correct Victim. Sheepish.gif

Loving the (mostly) organic country life as a SAHWM . Married to my hubby since '08heartbeat.gif, Ana born at home 11/12 slingboy.gifdust.gif

Old 07-01-2012, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Here's my problem: We got rid of cable but DH insisted on keeping the movies and the video games. I can think of lots of things to fill my time: knitting, sewing, cleaning, cooking, reading. I am never bored. But it seems that DH has no real interests. I worry about him. He'll come home, do the dishes or whatever, and after that he has nothing to do. The man has absolutely no attention span, so he'll read for 20 minutes and then get bored again. He says he is interested in woodworking and beer-brewing, but those are things we just do not have money or space for right now. Outdoor pursuits are not viable because we live in Orlando. The only time we can really be outside is at night, and that's when he works. Does anyone else know of ways to keep DH from playing video games every second of his life? We play board games sometimes, but it gets obnoxious after awhile with only 2 people.

I'm Kate! I treehugger.gif   knit.gif   hang.gif   and adore my DSbabyf.gif11/12 and stork-suprise.gif 10/14. We goorganic.jpg gd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif toddler.gif slingboy.gif familybed1.gifcd.gif 
Old 07-02-2012, 05:25 PM

Lol oh Katealicia, my husband goes through those times! It frustrates me SO MUCH. I finally have enough and start dropping hints (he already knows he gets addicted). It always ends with my giving him an ultimatum or time limit. He finally gets bored with it and moves on. It's an addiction and needs to be treated as such. Hubby gets obsessed with anything that tickles his fancy at the time. Men need a goal, something to work on or toward. Maybe he can do some carving? All that requires is a knife set and some wood. My Husband loves to be read to and I've read several books to him.

Frequent Auto Correct Victim. Sheepish.gif

Loving the (mostly) organic country life as a SAHWM . Married to my hubby since '08heartbeat.gif, Ana born at home 11/12 slingboy.gifdust.gif

Old 07-11-2012, 04:44 AM

Another option is books on tape/CD/MP3.  We love to listen to stories and do jigsaw puzzles together at night (after the kids go to bed).  My kids are 100% screen free, but w adults do still watch movies on the computer at times.  It can get very habitual if we are not careful.  We also will make some herbal tea and just catch up with eachother.  We are a military family, so some nights we will talk about what we want our life to look like post-military.  We do projects together as money allows (we have build our own custom designed bed, we designed a work table with storage under it for our homeschool that we are saving up for right now, things like that).  Just get creative and CONNECT with the family!

Married to the love of my life partners.gif (career navy), and Mama to 2 amazing little ladies - K~ (03/2009)blahblah.gif and M~ (01/2011)biggrinbounce.gif always to wish I had gotten to know our little ones lost angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gif   Reconfiguring my career track and working hard to keep my sanity through it all . . .

homebirth.jpgbfinfant.gifsaynovax.gifcd.gif  homeschool.gif 

Old 08-30-2012, 12:15 PM

i often find that mixing up the routine creates an unexpected nature and you all won't even realize that the screen time is missing.  for example, my dd and i walk the dog at what feels like the most random times.  for me, it is actually when i am restless and itching for something to do.  also, we have taken to talking or board games.  on saturdays, we usually listen to the radio, snack and do girly stuff like hair and nails.  oh the list is endless.  so for us, it works especially considering i am a limiter of screen time. 

Former dreads.gifwearing, treehugger.gifing, pole dancing, read.gifpushing, ribbonpurple.gifsurvivor & single mama extraordinaire to energy.gif.  

Now that's a mouthful!!! computergeek2.gif & follow it!   

Old 09-04-2012, 02:54 PM

In the evenings I like to put on some music, lie on the carpet and do some yoga.  It gives my mind a rest, and my body a stretch.  I usually have a bit more energy after doing some poses lying on the floor.  So I then progress to some sitting and standing poses, and then finish with a final relaxation on the floor.  It's lovely!

Old 12-27-2012, 02:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow2 View Post

This is my problem too!  We don't have the kids watch TV at all but as soon as they go to bed my husband and I just veg out for 2 hours in front of the TV.  I have tried so many things to stop - reading (which makes me fall asleep too early at night), games (which my brain is too fried for), organizing or housework and exercising do not work either because after the kids go to bed I have zero motivation.  Ugh.  I feel like if I am going to change this I am going to have to get rid of the TV altogether which my husband is not going to go for.  I hate to think of how much of my life I spend vegging out in front of the TV at night.  Would love to hear some more success stories!

I think it is easier to just not have cable TV at all. That way all you can do is movies at most. My husband and I both grew up with parents who showed us TV; my husband prefers the computer screen to the TV and I got sick of watching certain family members act just like (stupid) TV characters so often and ignore me, or at least not be interested in a family conversation so I was very turned off to TV by the time we married. My husband and I have only owned a TV once and that was because my mother bought us a VCR. When it didn't work for what we needed we promptly brought it back to the store - the only cable we have is cable Internet. We are very happy to have a TV-free home (with no TV sets, only computers) for ourselves and our children.

However, every night my husband watches anime on his computer and insists that I watch at least one episode for him, so I can't say I am totally TV free, though I would like to eventually be. If I could have the choice to not watch anime with him, I would iron (not relaxing but still needs to be done); finish washing the dishes; look at my meal plan and start thawing meat in the fridge for tomorrow's dinner if necessary; journal - very relaxing and good for my mind to get things out on paper that I've been thinking about; call Mom; call a friend; eat a light bedtime snack; and finally read in bed until I am tired enough to turn out the light. If I knew how to knit or crochet, I would but I don't.

May God bless you and His Blessed Mother Mary keep you!  :-)

Tags
Tv Free
User Tag List