Help with TV addicted 6 yr old - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-02-2012, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It is my fault that he's addicted of course. While I personally have never been a TV addict, somehow I was not put off by it until recently. There are so many aspects of it I dislike, mostly the popular culture, rudeness, violence, materialism. Anyway, poor DS is addicted and I don't think it helps that he is an only child. I'm having such a hard time weening him from it. I have tried providing him with other activities but he has no interest in them. I bought him a few new puzzles, he refuses to work on them. He used to be at least luke warm about puzzles. One thing he used to enjoy was all kinds of board games, now when I suggest game time  he's not interested. I suggest reading and he now only wants to read books from t.v. shows. He isn't enthusiastic about anything other than television or the computer. He likes to draw but he only draws of course...characters from TV shows.

I wish he would take a real interest in something other than TV! This weighs very heavily on me. I would love to see him get excited about something real,  something non violent. It dominates his conversations and his play. In fact the only type of play he engages in is of course acting out violent themes from so called children's programming. Another complication is he does not do anything independently other than TV watching or the TV play....both of which I have come to loathe. This if a further complication. When he comes to me wanting to talk it's always TV themed and if I tell him I don't want to talk about that i think he feels rejected. It's such a mess.

Any ideas? Any suggestions on other things to introduce him to or how to spark an interest?

Peace can not be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding.- Albert Einstein

#2 of 3 Old 06-02-2012, 10:20 PM

Here's something that worked well for my friend, although her child was a bit younger...

She packed up the TV and put it in the closet.  Now the TV only comes out on "Movie Nights" which is Friday.  There's no TV the rest of the week.  The computer can be used to play games but not for watching Hulu or Netflix.  She did it as a cold turkey approach--the TV was there when the kid went to bed and was gone when she woke up.  There was a rough 3 or 4 days, but then she got over it and no longer even asks about it.

Bad Mama Jama likes this.
#3 of 3 Old 06-04-2012, 08:16 AM

If I were you, I'd have my TV "break" and be unable to get it fixed.  Once he's used to being without TV, you could re-introduce a family movie night or something similar if you like.  However, at first, I think it would be so much easier to make TV an impossibility rather than have to say "no" over and over again.

Once the TV is gone let him act out his TV episodes and read his TV-tie in books as much as he wants.  I think you'll find that they'll lose their pull once the source material has been removed.  Remove the TV from his life, and he'll rediscover other ways to play.  It'll take some time, but if you're patient I'm sure it will happen.

Bad Mama Jama likes this.

Mum to DD 9/07 and DS 01/11

Tags
Tv Free

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page