Anyone else screen free? When do you start computers? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-27-2012, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So far I'm raising my daughter screen free and it is going great.  However, I'm not entirely screen free (obviously) because I'm online right now.  My screen time all happens when she is elsewhere or sleeping.  Anyway, I recently was having a discussion about our screen free lifestyle with someone and she jumped all over me for my child being computer illiterate.  She is going to be six soon and I don't personally feel like she needs to learn the computer right now.  Yes, she will need it for her career and college and even high school, but she is little right now.  I feel like she has plenty of time to learn the computer later.  We home school and I have found plenty of other ways to teach her without using a screen of any kind (no computer games or gaming systems or any of that).  She does know how to work my cell phone, which is a smart phone.  A few times, when she was done with her phone call she scrolled over to the google page and typed in "knock knock jokes" before I'd realized what she'd done.  I think if she can figure that out all by herself, I don't have to worry about her being able to learn the computer later.  Anyway, I was one of the first people I knew to have a computer growing up and I was 10.  We were one of the first families to have internet and that was high school.  My senior year was the first year they started requiring power point with our presentations and when I was in college, I had a class where we were the first to be required to make a web page.  Not to mention, when I was 20, my dad had a secretary who was 70 and could do more with the computer than I could at the time.  When we first got the computer (when I was 10) my dad made me learn to type and by the time I got to high school I could type faster than anyone in my class.  I was very proud of this.  I hope someday my daughter will be able to type well, but I don't feel like I need to start teaching her now.  What do you think of this?

*EDIT: Okay, this is good feedback so far.  I guess I should have also asked about what she should be doing.  I know a lot of people who think I should be letting her use the computer so she will have computer skills, but I'm not ready for her to be playing computer games yet, so what else is there?

#2 of 6 Old 06-28-2012, 10:07 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)

At 6, I think you are fine.  As you said, she picks stuff up and knows how to use it.  They do start teaching computer skills in school in K in my district, so she might be "behind" in that sense, and at some point you are going to have to get her up to speed, but for now, I think you're fine.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#3 of 6 Old 06-28-2012, 11:40 AM

I agree.  My dd attended Waldorf school from PreK through K.  Then we switched to a charter school and they used technology ranging from computers to iPads.  Because they are kids, they really pick it up fast.  I do allow her to use my iPad at home and my computer, but it is really a treat.

It is not an everyday all day thing for us as she has access at school.  I think you will be fine and just trust your instincts.  The only advice I would give is when you do decide to introduce it: when it feels like too much screen time, it probably is.

Former dreads.gifwearing, treehugger.gifing, pole dancing, read.gifpushing, ribbonpurple.gifsurvivor & single mama extraordinaire to energy.gif.  

Now that's a mouthful!!! computergeek2.gif & follow it!   

#4 of 6 Old 06-30-2012, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, this is good feedback so far.  I guess I should have also asked about what she should be doing.  I know a lot of people who think I should be letting her use the computer so she will have computer skills, but I'm not ready for her to be playing computer games yet, so what else is there?

#5 of 6 Old 06-30-2012, 08:51 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)

I know the computer skills in my district are really basic - open a program, type something, print, save, close program. Nothing too extensive.

If you are looking to expose her for brief periods, you might look at some of the educational programs/apps and set a very specific time limit.  Heck, just letting her type and move the mouse would probably be enough.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#6 of 6 Old 07-01-2012, 03:12 PM

You could give her " chores " like at home and help her/ teach her while doing those. Example, organize all your digital photos in folders by date/ vacation etc.
Let her write a letter to ger granny ( word skills, open, type, save, print)

Got to go, can give more ideas if you want!

babyboy.gifborn on April 3 '10namaste.gifnovaxnocirc.giffamilybed1.gifread.gifgd.gif

Tags
Tv Free

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page