Lessening screen time with teens? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-10-2012, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My kids are 15, 13, 11, and 8.  The TV isn't a huge problem, we don't have cable but have a Roku to watch Netflix or Hulu occasionally.  My problem is their computers/games.  Their dad bought them laptops/Nintendo DS's, and especially my teens have become addicted to the pc.  They want to be on it all day, especially now during the summer.  It's driving me bananas.

~ Mommy to DD (15), DD (13), DD (11), DS (8)   EDD Jan 22, 2013

#2 of 3 Old 07-11-2012, 07:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

We give each of the kids 30 minutes a day to be on the computer, wii, whatever.  They can also earn time or lose time depending on what's going on.  That seems to work pretty well.  They've learned that once their time is up, it's up.  If they complain or stay on after I've asked them to get off, the extra time that they use, comes off their time for the next day.  It seems to work pretty well.  That's not to say we don't occasionally have some arguments!

#3 of 3 Old 12-30-2012, 10:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

That sounds like a great idea, QueenoftheMeadow, and I wonder if birthjunkiemom tried it.

When I read the original post, I remembered when I was a teenager (not too long ago) and my Dad encouraged me to get off the couch and go outside. He took my brothers and I to the park to play soccer, and my Mom rode bikes with me to the state lakes outside my hometown sometimes. Also, Dad had a jetski that we took to the lakes, and occasionally we went to the public pool before it was turned into something else. For one summer I bought a YMCA membership, walked or biked there and back, and used the walking track and weights.

Also, since your 15-year-old will be old enough to start working before you know it (assuming 16-year-olds can work in your state like they could/can in my home state), you could encourage him or her to volunteer for you and your husband, and for other family members and neighbors - like raking leaves, taking out the trash, sweeping after dinner, washing the dishes, shoveling snow, etc.

May God bless you and His Blessed Mother Mary keep you!  :-)

Tags
Tv Free

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page